Chapter 27

I stretched in bed and extended my arm to bring Ellie closer to me, frowning as my hand touched nothing but the cold fabric of the cotton sheets

I stretched in bed and extended my arm to bring Ellie closer to me, frowning as my hand touched nothing but the cold fabric of the cotton sheets. Ellie's place beside me was empty.

Confused, I grabbed my phone and checked the time — three in the morning.

Yawning, I got up and went to look for Ellie. She wasn't in the bathroom, but the light filtered under the door of the study. Incredulous, I opened it and found her hunched over the books at the desk.

Again.

"Baby? What do you think you're doing?"

Ellie jumped in her chair. "You scared me!"

I came up to her desk and closed the books one by one.

"Aiden, I haven't finished!"

"You have."

I lifted her in my arms, turned off the lights, and carried Ellie to bed. She could accuse me of being ridiculous, bossy, overprotective. She could say whatever she wanted. I was having none of this bullshit anymore.

"You can't just come in and do that!" Ellie pouted as I laid her down in our bed.

"I sure as hell can, and I will."

"Bossy."

"Whatever, babe."

"It's important to me." She groaned. "I don't do that when you study."

I trapped her under me and hovered over her keeping my weight on my forearms.

"It's past three in the morning. You'll wake up at six-thirty. That's less than four hours of sleep. It has to end." I looked Ellie in the eyes fighting the desire to kiss her lips.

"You've pulled all-nighters—"

"When I could sleep the following day, baby. I didn't have my blood pressure low. I didn't faint. I didn't—"

She covered my mouth with her palm. "Why don't you stop talking and kiss me instead?"

It took all my self-control and then some to not do exactly that.

"I'll kiss you goodnight, and then you'll sleep. We'll talk about it tomorrow."

Ellie started to protest, but I silenced her with my lips on hers. It took a couple of minutes of kissing and caressing her to have her sound asleep.

Rolling onto my back, I pressed her to my side and gave in to my tiredness.

Ellie was grumpy in the morning, and as we had breakfast and I watched her down three cups of coffee looking exhausted, I seriously considered tying her up to the bed like the caveman she said I was so she could finally sleep all night.

Despite all the pouting and sulking, she kissed me for a long while right before Sky stopped by to pick Ellie up to go to school.

I was out in a minute as well.