Chapter 70

You know your marriage is doomed when your wife cries on your wedding night

Vivian and I met at work. The university invited me to give some lectures to Business students. I was young and successful, already had my own company, a self-made man. When we met at one of the staff meetings, I liked your mother almost instantly.
Not wanting to wait, I made a move and asked her out. She told me she was in a relationship with a fellow guest lecturer.

We did become friends. She broke up with the guy, Steve, shortly after, and I didn't waste my chance. This time, she said yes. We started dating.

I was happy. Everything moved fast. Vivian agreed to marry me. After months and months of begging for her attention, I got what I wanted.

I could already picture our life as husband and wife. The money I made was enough for us to go on vacation and see the world together. There were so many possibilities, so many things we could do.

We didn't get to travel. Vivian never wanted to leave the city. I didn't insist, knowing she was pregnant with you.

The day when you were born was the happiest day of my life. I had a son.

Vivian insisted on taking care of you on her own. Every time I tried to change your diaper or feed you, she was there, not letting me do it, saying she'd do it better. I didn't question that at first. She was a woman, and women were hardwired to take care of babies.

However, as you grew older, it got worse.

I started to get the impression that she didn't want me near you, my son. I bought you toys. Vivian always told you they were her gifts. I went to your football games a couple of times only to find an empty field and deserted bleachers. Vivian gave me the wrong information about the matches on purpose. When I confronted her, she said that you didn't want me there.

She was the one who didn't want me and didn't love me. I know it now, and I guess I knew it then, although I never stopped hoping.

After you were born, we stopped having sex.

I loved your mother. I never cheated, not once, not until Abby.
I was lonely, and she was, too. Her husband died. Abby was left alone with her daughter.

We met at the diner where she worked. I liked Abby, but I couldn't tell her that I was married. I would never leave your mother for another woman because I loved her. Despite everything, I still hoped that she would fall for me, her husband.

My affair with Abigail came to an end when she saw Vivian and me on the beach. You were playing with Abby's little girl. Every time I saw that child, I felt guilty. She was younger than you, quiet and smart. We had dinner with Abby and Ellie in my house once. I couldn't bring myself to talk to her. What would I say? I wouldn't become her dad, and I had no intention of leaving my wife for her mother.