Chapter 24

September

September

"Are you sure?" Aiden took the calendar from my hands and placed it back on the desk.

I nodded, crying now.

He clasped my hand tightly in his and led me to the bedroom before sitting me on his lap and starting to kiss my tears away.

"Don't cry," whispered Aiden.

"It should've come more than a week ago. How can you be so calm?"

"I'm not calm, angel, but freaking out isn't gonna help either."

"I don't even know how that's possible," I said into his neck.

Aiden kissed my wet cheek before saying, "That's what doesn't make sense to me. You know we've been careful. I always use protection. There wasn't a single time we made love without it. Are you usually regular, baby?"

"I am." I hugged him tighter, wanting to cry again.

Aiden and I were too young, and I wasn't eighteen yet. We'd just started studying. I still hadn't fully adjusted to living in Paris. We barely spent time together after being apart. How would I tell my mom, who didn't even know we were a couple again?

"Okay, let's try to be logical." Aiden stroked my back. "It didn't break, nothing spilled, there was no way of getting you pregnant, baby. You know I make sure it's on me even when I'm crazy with desire, like yesterday."

"They say no protection is one hundred percent reliable."

"True, but that's because although it's weird, sometimes they break."

"Are you sure it never broke?"

"I'm sure my love. I always check it afterward, just in case."

"And when we fooled around?"

"And when we fooled around, I wasn't inside you. Kisses and caresses don't lead to babies."

"I know, it's just that I've never been late, not even a day. Since I got my period when I was twelve, it's been like a clockwork."

"Yeah, and you were more sensitive everywhere."

"Tell the little guy to calm down right now, his timing is awful." I shifted on Aiden's lap. "We're in this predicament because of him, and he's acting all peachy."

"I'm sorry. Don't tell him off. You're too hard to resist." Aiden kissed me, and somehow we burst into laughter despite the gravity of the situation.

"Okay," he said when we calmed down. "Here's the plan. It's a beautiful Sunday outside. I'll shower quickly and run to the pharmacy. Meanwhile, you can get ready to go out for breakfast and a date."

"Pharmacy?"

"I'll get a couple of tests because we need to know regardless of what it is. I'll be quick."