Chapter 44

"Are you sure you left it here?" Liam looked at me as we got out of his car

"Positive."

"Well, let's make it brief. We'll have to drive back downtown."

It was hard to go on lying, but I'd managed to keep the secret for now. We convinced our friends to go out to dinner and to dance instead of staying in and celebrating at home as they planned to do. We even went as far as false-calling to book a table at a restaurant. Tim stayed at his friend's after spending the day with Liam. Now it was almost dark. We were outside the gym, ready to go in.

I felt the phone buzz in my pocket, meaning Ellie arrived; she had to come here with her friend because earlier today, Sky had got a call about a photography thing at the gym — something Jeff was in urgent need of. They'd use the other door in the back so that we wouldn't see each other. The goal was to get Liam and Sky inside at the same time.

"Why the fuck is it dark here?" Liam pushed the gym door open just as my phone buzzed for the second time.

"Surprise!" The lights were on illuminating the smiling faces of our friends. The crowd was massive; apart from the gym guys who brought friends and girlfriends of theirs, I already spotted Darren, Ollie, and his fiancée, Mathis, and Claire.

"Forgot your wallet at the gym, asshole?" Liam grinned, pulling me into a hug. Sky was laughing at something next to Ellie before the two of them walked toward Liam and me.

I drew my arm around Ellie, letting Liam and Sky talk to the guests. We did a great job decorating. The gym equipment was nowhere to be seen. There were helium balloons everywhere, and Ellie and I had spent the last two evenings painting the words Happy Birthday Liam and Sky on a banner. I mainly colored in the letters, and Ellie did the hard part, but the result wasn't bad.

"Is there gonna be a DJ?" Ellie's eyes stopped at the station in the back.

"Yeah. Jeff's friend who works at a club."

"It's great to have friends." She smiled and gripped my hand. "Let's go eat something."

We found our friends at the buffet table laughing at something Darren was saying.

"...and then I shouted, Let me in, Juliette. I don't know how the old lady didn't call the police."

"Isn't it embarrassing when your best friend calls you Juliette in the middle of the night waking up half of the street because you have the disgrace to live with him and a moral obligation to let his drunken ass in?" Ollie said, making his fiancée laugh next to him.

"Come on, Guacamollie, you love it. You on that balcony in your plaid pajama pants was a sight to behold. Julieeetteeee, I'm home, darlin'!"

"See? Isn't he a pain in the ass?" Ollie sighed, but I could see he was trying hard not to laugh. "Everyone, this is Marie, my fiancée. I'm going to introduce her to you before anything else comes up."