Chapter 12

September

September

Over the next few days, Liam and I talked about every possible scenario of my meeting with Ellie. Nothing convinced me. I wanted it to be special, but I was more than sure she would be angry and would probably refuse to talk to me.

Other than that, we finally managed to prepare the budget for the project, and the two parties signed the final contract. Ollie and Darren worked together closely and didn't argue that much.

That day in the office, there was a surprise for Liam and me. When we got to our desks after the lunch break, we found our framed photo with the inscription that read The Employee of the Moment. According to the tradition they had at the office, the rest of our workmates would invite us for lunch the following day, and each of us got a small basket with some products. Coincidence or not, Liam's basket had more sweets than mine. I was more than sure it was because of Tim.

We left the office in the evening after our French class. Liam said my French was much better. I did feel more confident, but with everything else I had to do my progress was lost on me.

I said goodbye to my friend and started my bike. I needed to drop by the bookstore and get some textbooks for uni before I went home.

After parking my bike in the university area downtown, I went into the store, got what I needed, and was ready to leave, when something made me stop in my tracks.

"Kennedy!"

That voice was unmistakable. Confused, I turned around looking for the source of it and came face to face with Jimmy, Jason, and Nick.

"Bloody hell, that's really you! What the fuck are you doing here? You disappeared on us, little fucker, and here you are, in fucking Paris!"

"Jim?! What—"

Jim gripped me in a tight hug. Seconds later, his hands were on my shirt collar and his angry face inches from mine. "Do it again, and you're a dead man! Got it? You had me worried, you asshole, couldn't you at least let me know you were here? Four fucking months, Kennedy, what kind of shitty friend are you?"

I hugged the guys and grinned at my friend. I knew he was pissed, but it felt too good to see him.

"Jim, come on, I'll tell you everything if you tell me what the hell you are doing here?"

"The guys and I arrived a couple of hours ago. We were exploring the area. Do you know any places for dinner? You seem local and shit. And on a bike. The hell that means? Where's the car, preppy kid?"

He was teasing me mercilessly, but I deserved it.

I shot Victor a text saying Jim was in Paris, and I'd be home late, and we walked to a small restaurant where Ollie and I had dinner after he took me to enroll at the uni.