Chapter 36

A/N
Hello to all my wonderful readers! Just wanted to let you know that if you have an Instagram account, you can find me as alwynk_author there. I post chapter teasers, news about my stories and alike. I'll be happy to see you there as well! Thank you for your support! Happy reading!
P.S. A bit of tenderness today 😇😍☺️

 A bit of tenderness today 😇😍☺️

October

Over the last years, I'd spent many nights staring into the darkness of my bedroom, unable to chase away the images of my father hitting me. As I lay awake this dawn, it wasn't the case.

Ellie's cheek was pressed to my chest, her arm and leg draped over me. She was deeply asleep, tired from the night we spent making love and baring our souls to each other.

We loved, laughed, and talked, in either order, long after the light of the fire dimmed and until tiredness took its toll on both of us.

I studied her slightly parted lips, her relaxed features, the light tan on her skin. Her lashes fluttered against her cheeks, and Ellie stirred in my arms.

Careful not to wake her up, I fished my phone out of the pocket of my shorts thrown next to the blanket and snapped a photo of us. If one day I were far from Ellie, this would be the picture I'd be staring at, because it'd remind me of the best night of my life. Well, probably the second-best.

Closing the camera app, I saw some unread texts, all of them from Jim.

Jim: Those lyrics are great, not taking a 'no' for an answer.

From the very start, I was against taking money for something I did as a hobby, but Jim was determined to pay me as soon as he could. I knew I'd lose the battle if I argued with him on that.

I scrolled down to read the next text.

Jim: The clock is ticking...I hope she'll agree to make an honest guy out of you.

Jim was the only person who knew I was going to propose. After dinner on the day of his concert, I had a chance to talk to him. Strange as it was, the guy with no committed relationship I knew of was the person who'd always told me to go for it when it came to Ellie and me.

Jim had the promise ring I was going to give Ellie on Valentine's day and then on the day of the trial. Both times, something interfered, not letting me do it.

Glancing at my sleeping girl, I typed away the reply.

Me: You know you don't have to pay me, but thank you.

Then, another line.

She said yes.

Jim's answer didn't take long.

Jim: Fuck... I'm happy for both of you. Kind of makes me hopeful.

The last part made me frown. I couldn't help wondering whether I'd been too busy and selfish to pay attention to my friends. That comment was unlike Jim. Then again, I could've been reading too much into this. Taking a mental note to call him as soon as we were back in Paris, I put the phone away.