Chapter 16

September

September

Liam opened the door, already dressed for work.

"Thanks for coming, Aiden."

"It's okay. What's wrong?"

"I think something's going on with Tim. I just...I panicked. I might not be right, but if I am, that school will be in serious trouble."

"Where's he?"

"In the shower, that's why I have to tell you this quick."

I followed Liam to the kitchen. He started to take out the things for breakfast.

"Tim had a nightmare last night. I tried to hug him, and he didn't let me."

"Was he angry with you about something?"

"That kid never gets pissed at me, Aiden. He doesn't even sulk. After our father died, Tim got obsessed with this absurd idea that I'd leave him. He does whatever to make me happy. He eats the damn vegetables just to please me."

"Then what?"

"When he fell asleep, I lifted his t-shirt and saw bruises. You don't usually get them playing, not on your back."

My blood froze. I knew damn well where those bruises usually came from.

"Did anyone hit him?"

"I asked him; he said no. But I know he's lying. He's too little and innocent to know how to lie properly."

"Fuck. What are you going to do?"

"When your father did that to you, did you tell anyone straight away?"

"Man, I was fifteen. Tim's only eight. And no, I didn't. At first, I thought it was a one-time thing; then, there were reasons why I kept quiet."

"Dammit, that's what I'm afraid of. Tim might be lying because someone threatened him."

"Yes, but who? They're supposed to look after the kids at school."

"I don't know." Liam sighed. "I have to find out as soon as possible. It's only Tim and me, Aiden. It's my job to protect him."

Tim entered the kitchen, then.

"Good morning, Aiden." He smiled at me and went to the counter to take his breakfast.

"Morning, Tim. How's it going?"

The kid shoved a spoonful of cereal in his mouth and started to chew, saying nothing.

After breakfast, I took my bike and followed Liam's car. He dropped Tim off at school, and we headed to the office.

It was still empty when we arrived.

I powered on my computer and went to get another coffee.

"Thanks for this morning," Liam said, putting a croissant on a napkin on my desk.