One

“Shit, shit, shit!” she curses when she realises she’s late yet again. It’s the third time in just a week and it’s Wednesday.
She blames the stupid alarm which wasn’t loud the first and second time for her lack of punctuality. Mr Willemse strictly told her he wants to be welcomed into his office by the smell of Nescafe Gold coffee. She’s ran out of excuses and knows that she’s acting like she doesn’t need the job which isn’t true.
She’s spent three years home since her matric and was lucky to get the first job she ever applied for.
“I’m sorry that I’m late Mr Willemse. Traffic was a nightmare.” she lies through her teeth.
“Get my damn coffee.” he growls with his eyes fixed on his laptop screen.
He’s been patient with her for the month which she’s worked for him. He only tolerates her because apart from her lack of punctuality, she knows what she’s doing. He once mentioned to his wife that he wants to get rid of her but because his rib is so fond of her, he let her be. The earliest she’s been is five minutes late. On her interview which was held by Jessica, his wife, she was twenty minutes late.
Getting into the kitchen, she ignores the disapproving looks she gets from other members of stuff. Nathan Willemse is the C.E.O of MW Mining and has successfully run it for ten years. There has never been any complains. The only issue he’s had has been with his personal assistants. After Pam left, who was his assistant for six years, all he got was gold diggers, undercover enemies who wanted to destroy him and women who wanted to seduce him. He ended up leaving the appointments to his wife instead of their HR department. The last three were efficient and competent and while two got internal promotions, one unfortunately passed on.
“Your coffee sir with two sweeteners.” she says after a great ten minutes.
“I’m getting impatient with you Monalisa!” he grunts.
“I’m really sor-”
“I don’t want your apologies. I want you to up your game dammit!” Nathan interjects in frustration. “Stop being lazy and wake up on damn time!”
“Yes sir.” she says bristly.
If there’s anything she fears, it’s being scolded.
“The only reason I’m still being annoyed by you is my wife and the fact that you’re competent, minus the lack of punctuality. You have one week to up your game or you’re out. Now get your ass out of my office!”
She almost hits the door when she dashes out. Getting at her desk which is just outside Mr Willemse’s office, she breathes out.
“That was close.” she mumbles to herself.
********
Jessica walks out of the elevator with a smile on her face. She’s brought her husband lunch and even though she saw him in the morning, she still missed him. She greets Lisa when she passes by her desk then proceeds to his office where she finds him on the phone. He smiles when he sees her and points at his cheek. With a giggle, she walks and plants a kiss on where he’d pointed. He finishes the call and finally attends to his wife.
“What do you have there? It smells delicious.” he says, already looking forward to it.
“Grilled chicken, mash potato, creamed spinach and brown rice.” Jessica replies, putting the items on the table. “How’s she?”
He groans. “Terrible.”
“Really?” she chuckles. “She can’t be that bad.”
“She’s always late and takes ten minutes to make coffee.” He says in annoyance.
“She’ll adjust. This is after all her first job.”
“She should stop being a couch potato and invest in a good alarm.” he says bitterly.
“She deserves a chance. I’ll have a talk with her. Anyway, when last did you talk to your replica?” Jessica asks, putting a spoonful of rice in her mouth.
“Yesterday actually. He’s still in Zambia and will be home on Friday.”
“I wish I wasn’t pregnant. I wouldn’t be here and missing out on the action. That would have been my case.” Jessica says with a frown.
She, like Ethan, is an attorney but being heavily pregnant has her on maternity leave since she’s due to give birth in a week or two.
“How’s our little one doing in there?” Nathan asks.
“Fine. You know he’s not that active.”
“I hope he won’t be lazy.” Nathan spits.
They continue talking until lunch is over and she leaves. Lisa had nothing for lunch since she’s buried deep in work. Her lack of punctuality is compensated by most of her lunch hour and she gets so lost in her work that she doesn’t stop for a cup of lemon tea. The telephone rings and she swiftly answers.
“ MW Mining good day and how may I help you?”
Put me through to that shit face called Nathan, it’s important.”the caller says, more like demands.
“Who am I speaking to?” Lisa asks in astound.
Put- me- through” he slowly grunts and she hangs up.
A minute after, he sees Mr Willemse picking up his personal phone and assumes it’s the person who had called her. It’s the first time she gets such a rude call and can’t help but wonder who the gentleman is and who the hell he thinks he is talking to her like that.