Six

She’s never had confidence issues or cared what people thought of her, so the stares don’t bother her much. She’s aware of how she may look and hopes Mr Willemse will be more understanding or Ethan like he said she should call him. She’s not comfortable with being on a first name basis with her temporary boss, however, she knows she has to do as he says in value of her job. Getting at her desk, he’s left a note that she should come into his office immediately. She notices how great his handwriting is and how hers is like that of a doctor in comparison. With her heart beating out of her chest, she walks to his office.
“Get in,” Ethan says before she can knock. She takes a deep breath in and exhales while simultaneously opening the door. She notices how unlike his twin; Ethan pays attention to her. he watches as she walks in until she’s standing a few feet away from his table.
“Can you drive?” he asks, and she nods, wondering what that has to do with anything. “You have three hours to go back to your place, have a nap, do your hair and iron your clothes. I want you back here at 11:30. We have a lunch meeting at 12:00 so you better come back with an appetite. Don’t think of putting on a wig, I want to see your hair.”
If she was light skinned, her face would be tomato right now, but she thanks God for her brown skin. He throws his car keys at her and she fortunately catches them, surprised that he’s giving her his car. He’s never done this for any employee before and even he can’t make sense of his own actions. What is it about her? He wonders if he sees what Jessica sees in her and convinces himself that he does and it’s nothing else because he’s married.
“Your car? Are there no companies car or something? I don’t think it’s appropriate Mr Wil… I mean Ethan.” Lisa says and he merely looks at her, still nonchalant.
“I don’t think it’s appropriate too, but I can’t have my assistant looking like a fucken mess. Leave Monalisa!”
His voice startles her, and she half runs out of his office. She grabs her bag and walks out in a faster pace than when she came in. Her mouth drops when she sees his car which she falls in love with immediately. She’s a little nervous to get in, fearing she might end up causing damage because of her love for speed. What if she scratches or dents it? She sure as hell cannot afford and wouldn’t want to have her mom in debt because of her. she’s also aware that time isn’t on her side and that if she continues gawking at it, she might find herself left with just an hour. She finally gets into the G-500, loving the smell of the interior which is all Ethan and manly. It’s red velvet with a pink steering wheel, weird yet somehow everything just blends in. the car is black outside, with red highlights in the rims and tinted windows. It oozes power like the man and she can almost feel that power embracing her, welcoming her and making her feel like she’s right where she belongs.
“Oh, get a grip of yourself Monalisa!” she scolds and finally brings the engine to life, loving the sound.
Three hours later, she arrives back in his office feeling and looking much better. Her afro is styled into a man and she’s managed to trim her eyebrows and put on some lipstick. She smells good too and there’s no wrinkle in her clothing and her heels are more comfortable than the ones she’d just grabbed.
“Mr… I mean Ethan, thank you for letting me use your car and allowing me to go refresh.”
“Let’s go Lisa, you’re driving.” Ethan merely says and gets up to gather his stuff. He walks besides her and can almost feel her heart which is beating abruptly out of her chest. He intimidates her, he’s noticed that and wouldn’t have it any other way.
“Stick to the speed limit, will you?” Ethan orders, making Lisa slow down. she’d almost forgotten she’s not alone and that it’s his car.
“Sorry boss,” Lisa murmurs and the rest of the ride is silent.
The restaurant isn’t foreign to her. Dating Bonnie meant dining and wining in such elevated places, so she didn’t feel much off. It’s a restaurant inside a five-star hotel where influential people host most of their meeting and where beautiful women go to meet men with a heavy pocket.
The first person she sees is Bonnie who has a big smile on his face as they approach. She didn’t think they’re meeting him since Ethan hadn’t provided her with much details and wonders what it’s all about. Her ex-boyfriend is however happy to see her even though it hasn’t been long since they parted. He’s next to the CEO of his company.
“Ethan, Monalisa. Thank you for honouring this invite,” Bonnie says with his eyes fixed more on Lisa than her temporary boss.
“I’m pretty sure you didn’t call me here to ogle my assistant. What is this about?” Ethan says, pulling a chair for Lisa then getting onto his own.
“Of course, Ethan. How are you?” Elle says who’s Bonnie’s boss.
“I am well Elle, yourself?”
“Good too.”
“Why am I here? You should know I’m an impatient man. I don’t play guessing games,” Ethan says sounding annoyed. Maybe because of the way Bonnie keeps staring at Lisa or the fact that he can sense some history, maybe present between the two. Why is he feeling like this?
Lisa is quiet through most of the meeting and Ethan notices how she’s barely touched her food and has had her focus on her iPad instead.
Bonnie discreetly slips his hand onto her lap, shocking her and having her eyes bulge. She looks at him and he half smiles, enjoying the effect he’s supposedly having on her.
“Are you OK?” Ethan asks, noticing how flushed Lisa is. She clears her throat then nods, begging Bonnie with her eyes to let go. “Monalisa?”
“I’m fine.” She says.
When the waiter comes with the bill, he orders that her food be turned into takeaway.
“she doesn’t eat when she’s working.” Bonnie says, looking at her amorously.
“Thank you for agreeing to meet with us Ethan, I know you’re a busy man,” Elle says, trying to cut the awkwardness.
“I’d be lying if I say I don’t regret it Elle. You both wasted my time. Next time, be more prepared.”
He gets up when the waiter comes, and Lisa follows right after bidding the seated two goodbyes. He takes the car keys from her when they’re in the car and orders her to eat.
Bonnie waits outside Lisa’s workplace with his hands clutching the steering wheel tight. He’s still mad because of what Ethan said and how he undermined him and his boss. He shot down every idea he came with and refused to contemplate a possible relationship between the two companies. Everyone knows how hot-headed Ethan can be, so he regrets meeting with him instead of Nathan. He knows Nathan would have given them a chance instead of acting all superior.
“Make sure you get back in time Lisa or you’re fired,” Ethan says, and she nods, getting out of his car.
It’s only then that she’s able to breath. She felt suffocated being in such a close space with him and could barely eat even though she was hungry. She refused for her to sit in the back, saying he’s not her chauffeur so he won’t allow her to treat her like one. She couldn’t look anywhere besides her food and tried not to show him how his presence affected her. she can’t quite place it because though she’s intimidated by him, it’s different from how Nathan makes her feel. There’s a certain distinction between the two and she hopes for her sake that it’s nothing romantic.
She takes the elevator from the underground parking to the ground floor because she’s way too tired for the stairs. She’s surprised yet grateful that Bonnie has come to fetch her and can’t keep it to herself.
“Thank you for coming to get me. A girl might get used to this,” Lisa says and her teasing tone makes him less tense.
“Anything for you.” Bonnie says and starts the car. “Are you hungry?”
“Oh no, still full of lunch. I have classes too though and thank God I brought changing shoes.”
“Classes? What classes?” bonnie asks curiously.
“Management assistant classes. My boss coerced me into them, but I love it.” Lisa replies enthusiastically.
“Is there anything happening between you and Ethan? He seems… fond of you,” Bonnie asks, trying not to sound too jealous. “I’m not only asking because I love you and want you back, but the man has two wives. You might be anything Lisa, but I don’t see you as a home wrecker.”
“So much judgement when I haven’t even said anything,” Lisa says with a scowl. How dare he?
“I’m sorry,” he replies sincerely.
“There’s nothing going on between us and he only came yesterday. He’s a pain in the ass, excuse the disrespect, works me like a slave and has a shitty attitude so even if he wasn’t married, I still wouldn’t go for someone like that.” Lisa spits bitterly.
“He’s quite an asshole. I can’t believe he belittled me like that in front of you. I felt so stupid.” Bonnie says, feeling a little shiver of vulnerability. His ego has been bruised, that’s for sure and thinking of Ethan and the meeting rubs him off the wrong way.
“That he is. Can we talk about something else?” Lisa says and the subject changes immediately.
Somewhere in the back of my mind, there’s a thought of Ethan having two wives and how it seems to hurt her a little. She ignores it however knowing that there’s a moral bone in her and she’d never go for a married man. Besides, she just met him yesterday and though she can admit he’s attractive, it ends there.