Twenty-three

Ethan is in his office, about to get out after finishing paperwork for a case he’s working on when his phone rings. Lexy is the first who’s calling him. She’s been waiting for him to finish so they can go home together. Amo went before the two so she can get started with dinner.
“Nunu?” Lexy asks and Ethan grabs the phone from her and answers.
“Please come get me… he… he left with my bag and I... I don’t have any money on me,” Lisa sobs right after he answers, not giving the man a chance to greet.
“Where are you?” Ethan asks already getting onto his feet.
“excuse me, are you leaving?” Lexy asks as she watches her husband gather his things, all ready to leave after Lisa told him the restaurant’s name.
“I have to go,” Ethan says, fuming at whoever left the love of his life distraught.
“Go where? You can’t leave me here,” Lexy stresses but his mind isn’t here, it’s with Lisa. He doesn’t even notice the woman on his tail until he gets in his car. He only stares at her in the passenger seat, shakes his head and starts the car. He’s clenching and unclenching his jaw on the drive, holding the steering wheel tightly while thinking of the many ways he’ll torture the man who made his woman cry. How dare he?
Lexy on the other side is wondering who it is that called her husband and how special they are that he rushed to their aid. She hopes it’s not a woman but even she isn’t that naïve not to see it most probably is. She gets out when he does, following him but not at his pace. He’s rushes into the restaurant boiling. He doesn’t even exchange pleasantries with the waitress who’s by the entrance.
“I want a Monalisa Boyce,” Ethan barks at the lady in a black formal dress.
“Uhm sir, did she make a reservation?” the lady asks, checking on the board she has with names of people with a reservation. She tells her the table right after and the man doesn’t want a second, leaving the lady shaking in her heels. He finds her still seated, hands on her phone and crouches so he can embrace her.
“I’m here now,” Ethan says and in the warm embrace, fresh tears gush out of her eyes. He brushes her back until she’s calm, giving her a glass of wine since it’s the only thing on the table. He then places a kiss on her forehead and sits on the other chair, never letting go of her hand.
“Thank you,” Lisa says and he doesn’t reply but instead, kisses the back of her hand.
“You don’t have to thank me. is the bill taken care of?” he asks, and she nods.
“All gratitude to my banking app,” Lisa says.
“How much was it? I’ll reimburse triple the amount,” Ethan says, and she shakes her head.
“You don’t have to do that,” Lisa says.
“That’s not the question I asked Nunu.”
Lexy clears her throat but it hadn’t been to catch their attention. She’d been trying to clear the lump on her throat rather after witnessing her husband care so much about a woman who isn’t his wife. A woman Amo had been worried about which she realises now that she wasn’t crazy. She had every right to worry about the woman traveling with their husband. The said woman is the same one who had the said husband dropping everything to come to her aid.
“Let’s go,” Ethan says while standing but Lisa remains in her seat.
“You can go. Just…call a cab for me please,” Lisa says since she can recognise the woman who’s just cleared her throat and doesn’t want things getting more complicated than they are now. She’s already distressed about Bonnie and doesn’t need anymore.
“That’s not happening Monalisa. It’s either you get up from there willingly or I’ll have you over my shoulder, your choice.” Ethan says in his no-nonsense voice. Lisa only rolls her eyes then stands. It’s awkward in the car with Lisa in the backseat while looking out the window. The silence is as heavy as the tension.
Many questions run through Lexy’s mind and she realises that this is Amo’s worst fear. She wonders if she should tell her and how she’ll even react to that. the woman did make it clear she’ll leave Ethan if he ever wants to take another wife. Three is a crowd. She wonders about the relationship between the two and what are her husband’s intentions with the woman. Ethan is no longer her boss so why did he come to her rescue?
“Drive home. Tell Amo that something came up and that I’ll probably come in the evening and she shouldn’t wait up,” Ethan says after parking in the residential complex where Lisa stays.
“If I take the car then how will you come? It’ll be too late,” Lexy says.
“Don’t worry about me. just do as I say,” he says. Lisa got out immediately when the car halted thinking that Ethan will go back with his wife. She can’t hide the fact that her presence hurt her but is grateful he came to her rescue.
“We have to talk about this Ethan. You owe me an explanation,” Lexy says and the man nods. “You’re not going to at least give me a kiss? It has been a while”
“She needs me. I’ll see you later,” Ethan says then gets off the car. He doesn’t even look back as he walks towards the entrance with only one goal in mind: Lisa. He finds the door unlocked and locks after getting in. he walks to her bedroom where she’s undressing, readying herself for a bath.
“You shouldn’t be here,” Lisa says and yet she’s happy he’s here.
“I’m where I need to be,” Ethan says and begins removing his own clothes, green orbs locked on brown. He follows her to the bathroom and gets into the prepared tub. She must have walked inside fast to have even prepared it. He gets behind her and she rests her head on his chest, closing her eyes so she can soak in his presence.
“I broke up with Bonnie. He didn’t take it well,” Lisa says after about five minutes of silence.
“Did he do this to your wrist?” Ethan asks, holding her bruised wrist.
“He held it too tight for too long. He was too mad,” Lisa says.
“Are you defending his actions?” Ethan asks in disbelief.
“I wouldn’t dream of it. I’m telling you the motive behind his actions. What he did was wrong.” Lisa says.
“What about your bag? How will you get it?” Ethan asks and she shrugs. “Give me your address and I’ll go do it.”
“No,” she retorts then sighs. “I mean, he suspects I left him for someone and if you go… Bonnie is no fool. He’ll know. It’s bad enough that your one wife knows.” Lisa murmurs.
“It’s a good thing she does, and you don’t have to worry about Lexy, I’ll talk to her,” Ethan says, and she trusts that he’s got it.
His hand cups her breast and squeezes it gently, head leaning so his lips are on her nape. He kisses there, biting and pulling the skin there. Her eyes are closed and this time, it’s because of the brewing pleasure.
“I missed you,” Ethan says, turning her head so her lips meet with his. Lisa replies eagerly, not caring about her neck’s straining because of their position. They kiss until they’re forced to break for air, lips swollen while they pant. “Face me nunu and sit on it.”
She doesn’t need to be told twice. Her breath catches in her throat as he fills her, loving the pain-pleasure from the tightness. It feels too good and the warmness of her canal has Ethan wishing he could stay buried in there forever. Their tongues meet in the same pattern of their movement. Not slow and not fast either. She feels all her worry evaporate as she rides him, enjoying the melody of their grunts and moans. His hands cup her buttcheeks almost painfully as the man begins to move under her, increasing the pace as they break the kiss. Lisa can’t help her screams, matching Ethan’s pace as they go. She goes faster as her orgasm approaches, her insides clenching as her toes curl and it’s as if she’s in an out of the body experience.
*****
Ethan finds Lexy on his bed wide awake even though it’s after midnight. He ended up calling Tumelo to fetch him after Lisa had fallen asleep. The man had been tempted to spend the night bur with what Lexy knows, he didn’t want Amo having suspicions, at least not yet.
“You should be sleeping,” Ethan says as he walks into his closet. Lexy gets off the bed and follows him.
“Did it start before or after you temporarily took the reins at MW?” Lexy asks, watching him change out of his suit.
“Does it matter?” Ethan asks, too tired for the conversation now. all he wants is to sleep or at least that was the plan when he left Lisa’s place.
“Of course, it does. I thought we were enough for you,” Lexy continues. “I thought you loved us so how could you fall in love with someone else?”
“I didn’t choose to,” Ethan says with a yawn. She follows him to the bedroom, ignoring the hickeys she just saw on his chest.
“IS that it? You’re not going to explain anymore? Were you boo’d up in Durban when you were supposed to be working? Is it why you came on Sunday and didn’t take Amo or me with you?” Lexy asks and he yawns yet again.
“I want to sleep. We’ll have this conversation in the morning,” Ethan says, getting onto his bed.
“It’s already morning. This is going to break Amo,” Lexy says. Ethan ignores her, switching off the side lamps. “Are you listening?”
“I’m tired Lexy”
“yes because you were fucking her all these hours instead of coming home. Don’t even deny it because I saw the hickeys on your chest. How could you?” Lexy asks, voice down because of the pain she’s been trying to conceal. There’s no sound coming from the man and seconds later, she hears snoring. With her heart on the floor, Lexy walks with wobbly legs to her room and cries herself to sleep. Her biggest sin is loving him.