Twelve

She had never eaten that much in one day before. The breakfast had been what she needed and when her boss ordered them lunch, she found herself finishing all the food. She had kept watching him, not even stealing glances and wondering how things would be if she had met him before the wives then she’d remember that she would have been a kid then so maybe she wouldn’t have paid him any attention. Now she had to think of Bonnie and use him to escape thoughts of her boss that gave her Goosebumps and had her blood racing. ‘It’s wrong’, she’d chant to herself, but her heart didn’t care about that. The board meeting drags more than she thought it will and her fingers are even painful from the typing. She can only finally breathe when it ends, having given herself a tap on the back for not having dozed off like she usually does. Maybe it’s because of Ethan’s hand which he had placed on her thigh and even after the meeting when everyone’s on their feet, she can feel its warmth.
“I’m surprised you didn’t fall asleep during that long meeting,” Ethan says when they get back in his office.
“I’m surprised too. I usually doze if it lasts for more than an hour. I think it has something to do with someone’s hand on my thigh,” Lisa says, and he chuckles.
“I’m glad I helped. Is that boy fetching you?” and right after he asks, her phone rings.
“Seems he’s here boss. What time are we leaving tomorrow?” Lisa asks since she doesn’t know much about the trip.
“We’re leaving at 10am and you don’t have to pack a lot of clothes. We’ll buy whatever you’ll need,” Ethan says and as tempting as it sounds, Lisa shakes her head.
“I can’t agree to that. I don’t want you to be my blesser Ethan”
“It’s fine if you’re not comfortable with me buying you things at this moment but only this time” Ethan says and Lisa breathes out in relief because she’d thought he’d force her to accept it.
“Thank you,” Lisa says and for a few seconds, he looks at her in admiration. It lasts for more than those few seconds and Lisa holds his gaze. It goes on for over a minute and is interrupted by her phone ringing. “Uhm, I have to go sir”
“Goodbye Monalisa, see you tomorrow”
She looks at him one more time then walks out of his office with her heart beating out of her chest like it does in his presence.
Bonnie greets Lisa with a big smile on his face and she feels guilt ping at her.
“You’re skipping classes, tonight right? I know I’m being a bad influence, but I want us to go out” Bonnie says, and she nods.
“I have to pack among other things so…” Lisa says and shrugs.
“Awesome. Can we do the packing now because I was thinking you sleep at my place tonight?” Bonnie says. They’re on their way to Lisa’s place and unlike usual, she finds herself contemplating it. She knows he’s probably thinking of sleeping with her and she hasn’t been able to do it with him since Ethan would somehow pop into her mind. As much as it’s only been a month since they got back together, she knows if it wasn’t because of that man who makes her feel things she’s never felt before, they would have long done.
“Sure” Lisa says after some time. The rest of the ride to her place is silent.
When they get there, they find Banele cooking while playing music on the low. Lisa is shocked because she knows that like her, he’s not domesticated and last time she’d checked, none of her mother’s kids could kick.
“Pick up your jaw sis, it’s really me,” Banele says with a chuckle.
“You’re cooking” Lisa states.
“Yes I am. Chill” he says while laughing. “Worry not, I know what I’m doing”
“Hey man,” Bonnie says coming in. “Yoh, you’re cooking”
“Not you too. I’m surprised the two of you are still together. Why aren’t you married again?” Banele says when they join him in the kitchen.
“Ah, I’m twenty-three” Lisa states.
“So? He’s your first love and all moss” Banele says and Bonnie chuckles.
“Clearly she’s not ready so I’m doing everything at her pace”
“Thank you, baby,” Lisa says and perks Bonnie’s lips
“Noooo! Not in my presence Monalisa Boyce. What happened to respecting your elders?” Bonnie says and the three burst out in laughter.
“Sorry bro,” Lisa says after. “I have to go back now but I’m not leaving without tasting that food”
Banele doesn’t ask anything when the two retreat to Lisa’s bedroom. She’s unable to pack anything ‘sexy’ because of the boyfriend. How would she even explain it? Other than that, she realises its fun doing it with him. They pack two luggage bags, one big suitcase and a sports bag and then go back to the living room to taste Banele’s food.
“This is actually good,” Lisa says in clear surprise.
“I know you were expecting something inedible, sorry to disappoint sis”
“How and where did you learn to cook? Please don’t tell me it’s Curo” Lisa says, and he chuckles.
“I learned on my first year in varsity but because I was lazy until now, I didn’t let any of y’all l, know. Besides, you know mom doesn’t want us doing anything moss” Banele says and they nod in agreement. Oluhle had always treated them like babies, wanting to do everything for them and cussing whenever they’d try to help her.
“How I miss staying with her” Lisa says, and he chuckles.
“This my guy is her admitting that she’s lazy and wants to be treated like a queen and not lift a finger. I love her anyway” Banele says.
“I love you too and I’m glad we’re getting along. I was actually mad when you said you’re going to stay here instead of mom’s, but I realise you’ve changed.”
“I wanted us to move past what happened as we were growing up”
“Thank you,” Lisa says, and they hug it out.
She leaves with Bonnie and Banele is happy to have the apartment all to himself. Lisa is looking forward to being in his space again which is a bit bigger than hers, which she’d expected. He’s moved from the apartment she was used to and to something bigger which he now owns.
“so, it’s all yours now?”  Lisa asks and he chuckles and nods.
“One gets tired of renting anyway,” Bonnie says.
“You’re so right. Am I here because you want me to sleep with you?”  Lisa asks and he chuckles.
“Is that how little you think of me? come on Lisa. This is the first property I’ve bought, and I’m pleasured to sure it to you” Bonnie says, and she smiles.
“It’s beautiful” Lisa says, meaning it and the sincerity in her makes him melt.
“You like it?” Bonnie asks.
“Are you kidding? I love it” Lisa says, and he smiles. The man is sold, he loves that she loves it.
The night is spent beautifully. He doesn’t try to sleep with her, but he does get to bond with her. they have dinner together, drink her favourite wine and talk like past times. There isn’t much she can do anyway. 
So, the time is spent with the two talking like it’s their first-time meeting. Bonnie gets to apologise for the headache he’s caused and it’s like it has never happened. She accepts the apology and everything peaceful from thereon.
Lisa is woken up by her alarm while enveloped in Bonnie’s arms. She switches it off then untangles herself, making sure not to wake him. She then takes a shower using products she finds in his bathroom then puts on his robe.
“You’re leaving already?” Bonnie asks in his tired, morning voice.
“Not before I have a cup of tea, want one?” Lisa asks and he nods. “How did we plan this sleepover without including changing clothes?”
Bonnie chuckles. “Maybe we thought you’ll instead wear mine”
“Those big ones? You seem to forget you’re tall”
“So, you’d rather wear what you came in with?” Bonnie asks.
“Mm, I guess I have no other choice”
She wears his slim fit Adidas trackpants with his big black hoodie. Lisa goes to the kitchen leaving Bonnie to brush his teeth since he said he’ll go to bed after driving her home. She makes herself a cup of rooibos tea and makes Bonnie his hot chocolate.
“Don’t forget to tell me where you’re booked. I’ll see you tomorrow baby,” Bonnie says when they’re at her door and she nods. The two share a brief kiss then part ways.