Thirty-five

A/N: GOOD EVENING! IT'S BEEN A LOOOONG TIME AND I'VE MISSED Y'ALL A LOT. I STILL DON'T HAVE A PHONE SO I'M NOT ENTIRELY BACK. I KNOW IT'S BEEN A MINUTE BUT PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT SO I KNOW Y'ALL ARE STILL THERE.
___________________________

36
Weeks have passed, winter having given birth to spring and with Lisa's belly protruding. It’s still healthy and the wedding is now a week away. One would think she’d have wedding jitters by now but she’s looking forward to it. The last she saw of her mother is when she beat her a few months ago and though Lisa misses her, she’s kept herself preoccupied with her job, upcoming wedding and pregnancy to stress much about it. It’s a week before September ends, with the wedding on its last day which is on the coming Friday. She’s on leave, has been since the past week to finalise the wedding and get Her body rejuvenated and refreshed. Rachel, along with her wedding planner have been great help. Her brother has also been there, with her father also checking up on her every day. If not by phone call then personally. It’s safe to say she’s at her happiest less the melancholy that clouds her emotions whenever she thinks of her mother.
“Delivery for Mrs Williamse,” Ethan says while handing her a small gift back. Lisa grins, wondering what’s inside but with no question of why. He’s been showering her  with gifts occasionally since they’ve gotten together.
“ You’re making it impossible for me to be mad at you,” she says, scanning the contents. She opens the jewellery box inside to reveal beautiful diamond studs.
“Ethan!” she embraces him tightly, her fiancé returning the embrace then planting a kiss on her forehead upon breaking it.
“ I know our pumpkins have you tired most of the time but if you look inside, there’s a spa voucher for you and two of your friends. They’ll do house calls in the case that you don’t feel like going out. I’m sorry for missing our baby’s check up. I didn’t mean to and I know these gifts won’t change that. I promise from now, I won’t.”
“I guess but thank you. And the spa was considerate, I could do with the break. I think maybe on Thursday since it’s my free day.”
Hair and nails will be done on Wednesday, along with final outfit fittings and final checks on the venue. The wedding is being held at their new house, a form of house warming like Lexy says. The two have gotten acquainted, Lexy finding out Lisa isn’t as bad as she’d thought and also realising why her husband fell in love with her. The woman is beautiful, inside and out and she mostly like her don’t care attitude. She likes that she’s not faded by what people say since being with Ethan has had her being the talk of many online publications. She wouldn’t say that they’re close but the second wife sees it as a possibility in the future.
“I also got you something for that ultrasound video but that’s for the bedroom. I’ll take it gently for our babies sake.”
“Is it weird that we haven’t spoken of names, gender? I mean we’re in the second trimester now and they’re even kicking,” Lisa says. They’re in her apartment’s living room. She’s seated on her fiancé's lap, the television on mute. Her brother is on an errand with his girlfriend. Him and Rachel have been official for about a month and she’s never seen her brother that happy.
“We can find out the gender and I haven’t really thought of names. I prefer naming after meeting,” Ethan answers, kissing her cheek.
“Oh. Well, I want both. A girl who looks like her daddy and a mommy’s boy.” Lisa says, the image embedding itself in her mind.
“I want girls who look just like you. I can imagine three yous whom I’ll love just as much,” he says and she giggles.
“You’re too sweet,” Ethan says.
“I know a lot of people who’d disagree. It’s only for those I love.”
******
“The wedding is on Friday, 12PM.”
“I want to see her before then. Her mother hasn’t given it her blessings so if there’s anyone who can convince her otherwise, it’s the woman who gave birth to her.” Amo says and her accomplice nods in concurrence.
“Are you sure you’ll both be able to convince her otherwise?” the man asks.
“We have a common enemy here Bonnie. Of course I want to see it eliminated. I’ve waited weeks for this and my patience will pay off.” Amo says with a content glee gaze.
“And your husband? How do you think he’ll react to your betrayal?” he prompts.
She snickers. “ Betrayal? He cheated on me! You know what’s worse? The fact that I found out like every one from a mere journalist. Then he impregnates her as a cherry on top!”
“She’s…pregnant?”
She looks at him like he’s grown horns. “ Don’t you know? Anyway, is there a chance the baby’s yours?”
He huffs, clicking his tongue. He’s more than convinced that the conspiracy is necessary. “No. We never fucked”
She sucks her teeth, disappointment embracing her face which is cleared by remembering their plan. “If I had an inch of evil in me, I’d ensure that bastard she’s carrying doesn’t live but I’m not that heartless.”
She’s tempting him, discreetly attempting to plant the idea in his mind. Bonnie races an eyebrow, nonchalant which isn’t what she’s expecting. “The child has nothing to do with this.”
Her jaw drops but she quickly picks it up. The action doesn’t go unnoticed by the younger. “Surely you don’t think I’m stupid. You can’t manipulate me Amo. I don’t hate Lisa. Yes I’m mad at her for cheating and breaking my heart but I wouldn’t go that extreme. I’m no murderer”
“Give me her mother’s address,” Amo digresses.
“Sure,” he says with a shrug. He was a little surprised when the woman approached her a month back, spitting venom regarding his former lover which formed their alliance. The plan is simply to ensure the wedding doesn’t happen where Amo will hit Ethan with divorce papers. She calls it kicking a dog when it’s down. She tried convincing Lexy to represent her, playing the emotional blackmail card which failed. She trusts her current lawyer though and has even applied for a job elsewhere. She’ll fight for her kids later, only working on walking with something. If there’s anything she won’t do is walk away empty handed.
“Mrs Boyce?”
Oluhle looks at her with confusion while wondering where she’s seen her since the face is familiar. Amo drove here right after Bonnie gave her the address.
“Who are you?” Oluhle asks, not wanting to invite a stranger in her home. Amo expected a small house in a village with a pit toilet and chicken cage. What she didn’t expect is for the house to occupy the entire yard, nicely groomed green grass with pink and red rose by the fence and flushing toilets.
“I’m Amo. I’m here about your daughter”
“I don’t know you,” she states and Amo almost rolls her eyes at her reluctance. She thought she’d be inside by now.
“I know that ma’am. I’m Ethan’s first wife. He’s the man your daughter is due to marry this Friday.” Amo says and that has the woman opening the door wider so she can get in. The grey painted house is beautiful inside like it is out. It has a homey feel that welcomes you and warms even the coldest of hearts. The décor is simple, the furniture not a lot with a huge sound system. There are family pictures in the living room and if this was a friendly visit, she’d probably be looking at them and asking questions
“What do you want Amo?” Oluhle says. The younger is a bit disappointed she’s not offered her anything to drink, let alone a seat. She’d merely followed the older to the living room and sat after she did.
“I don’t want my husband taking another wife. I was hurt Ma when I found out all of this from a journalist and-
“Pause. You came all the way here for that?” Oluhle asks.
“Uhm, no. I know you didn’t give her your blessing and that if you maybe go to her, you might convince her to stop all this mayhem. Ethan is a father of four and their wedding will not only confuse our kids but will also come between our family. It just won’t work.”
“What makes you think I care?” Oluhle spits and she sucks her teeth.
“She’s your daughter. Sure, you might be mad at her now but I don’t think you’d want to have labelled a home wrecker nor to be third best. Her kids would come after the four and how will the schedule work? Think about your daughter”
“ This just sounds like a selfish visit to me. You want me to talk to Lisa so she won’t marry your husband whom she apparently loves because you want him all to yourself. The daughter you’re talking of is an adult who’s capable of making her own choice. She’s continuing with the wedding even though she knows I’m against it so it should tell you about her resilience. You came to the wrong person Amo.”
The younger woman scoffs. She hadn’t expected her to get smart with her. “So you’ll let her go ahead with it?”
“It’s not up to me,” Oluhle says with a shrug.
“Do you know she’s pregnant?”
It’s something Banele mentioned so it’s no surprise.
“Leave little girl.”
Oluhle walks to the door and opens it wider so she can leave. She sucks a breath then gets up, walking out with a defeated look. It’s now left to her to convince Lisa otherwise and she hopes it’ll work. If push comes to shove, she’ll threaten her and even the kids. She’s a woman scorned and hell has no fury against her.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Above is a picture of Rachel.