Thirty-Nine

Jessica walks into her bedroom finding her husband staring into space. She looks at him for a bit, trying to find a way to tell him what's on her mind. She has someone whom she thinks might speed up their investigation but their history with the person is something that might anger him. 

"Spit it already," Nathan says exhaustively and she sighs. Of course he knows she wants something. She walks towards him, launching herself on his lap with her back to his front. " 

You won't like it" she says sounding nervous. 

"Then it's a no, regardless of what it is." He says and she giggles. "It's about Lisa's kidnapping."

"Just say it already so that I can get mad and we get over it," Nathan impatiently says. 

"IwasthinkingwegetRandytohelp" the woman says. The quietness that follows is one where even a pin would make noise if it fell. She knows he heard her which has her heart beating out of her chest because of his possible anger. It has been more than a decade since they saw the man who somehow still kept contact with his mother Miley. "Have you been talking to him?" Nathan asks, the thought of his wife doing him dirty like that already angering him. Sure, it's been years but Randy still is the reason his father died. He still feels King would still be here if he'd never done that. She shakes her head rather too quickly but it's all because she doesn't want him suspecting her of anything. She wouldn't go behind his back like that even though it'd be for the good of their family. "I want to hear your words," Nathan says sternly.

"No, I didn't. I wouldn't do that to us," Jessica says and he nods, his wife not seeing it. He turns her around so they're facing each other, cupping her face then staring right into her eyes.

"I don't want him in our lives," Nathan says and she nods understandably. "But he might be useful. We can't dismiss someone who might help us all because of history. I'll have mom fill him up and she'll handle him for us. I don't want you anywhere near him. People don't forget their virgin breakers unless they were too drunk to remember."

"Thank you. I want her found and to see Ethan happy again." 

"And she will be. How much time do you have before you guys have to leave?” he asks while lowering her camisole before kissing on her jaw.

“Not much,” Jessie moans and he chuckles, already knowing he has her where he wants her. 

“Come on Viper, we need to leave!” Ethan shouts outside their door and they stop before it even goes anyway, Nathan spitting a couple of profanities. Jessi kisses her husband briefly and out she goes, meeting a waiting Ethan so they can go. 

“You ready?” Jessi asks in the car and he nods, starting it so they could go and get it over and done with.

*****

“I got him, I so have him,” Amo says to her lawyer in his car. The man's driving them to the court where they'll meet for the divorce proceedings. If uncontested, it might be finalised within four weeks. 

“ It's never wise to count your eggs before they hatch,” the man replied, popping her happy bubble. “But even you were confident that it'll work in our favour. I didn't do anything wrong” 

“ You're married out of community of property without accrual. The only thing you could get is a spousal settlement but your husband might argue that you left your job willingly and with him being the only one able to cater for your children's needs, he most possibly will get residential custody.” 

And egg hit Amo on her face as the reality sinks in. She's most probably played herself and she hates it. He's supposed to be her lawyer and how will she even be positive when he isn't? “Did he get to you? Maybe...maybe it's why you're like this. I'm paying you a hefty amount for you to be this negative!” Amo snaps while she's fuming. The man only sighs, looking at her and halfway to rolling his eyes. She should get it. “ I'm being realistic. It'd be deceiving of me not to be as your lawyer,” he says with a calm that pisses her off .