Twenty-two

Oh, how time flies when two are having fun in this case. The month of June comes and passes meaning that Lisa’s boss’s leave is over. Her brother has left once again which leaves her with her apartment to herself. Bonnie is still there with the girl not having had the guts to break it off with him. She’s come close a couple of times and like he’d expected it, the man found a way to block it. He doesn’t give her time to talk anything extra serious with him and that has gotten Lisa a bit frustrated. She knows who she wants, knows where her heart is so why can’t he let her free him? She’s not as excited on the first Monday of July as she goes to work. A little farewell party was held on Friday for Ethan which ended with her arse up, face not in his office. She’d never imagined having office sex but somehow got to find that it might be her favourite. On the three days that he’d be there, her coochie was the first thing he ate when he arrived at work. Now all of that is gone and she wonders how she’ll be able to see him. The man has two wives and even though he’s made time for her in the past two months, she wonders if things are going to continue like that.
“Hey Lisa,” the receptionist greets her, making her huff.
“Hi,” she replies in disinterest. “Did Mr Williamse pick up his messages?”
“Uh no. you don’t talk much, do you?” Rachel asks while giving her Nathan’s messages.
“No,” she retorts, and the girl laughs at it.
“Hmm but we should hangout. You seem like an interesting person,” she says. Lisa pauses for a minute, thinking of how it’s been like without Thuso and ends up agreeing. The girl has been trying to befriend her since she got here, and she figures it won’t hurt. Hanging out doesn’t mean she’ll spill the beans about her life on her, but it’ll just be her passing time when she’s lonely.
“Great, I’ll quickly write down my number. I must admit I was nervous, thought you’ll turn me down,” Rachel says gleefully, making Lisa giggle.
“You’re quite bubbly,” she states and the girl nods with a giggle.
“Kind of have to be a people’s person when you’re the face of the company. Let me not keep you, Nathan can be an ass,” she whispers and Lisa chuckles. The words would be more suiting to Ethan, but she doesn’t correct her.
It’s back to making coffee so after dropping her stuff on her desk, she goes to the floor’s kitchen for her boss’s coffee. She’s done within about two minutes, not counting the time it took the kettle to boil then she retreats to his office.
“Welcome back Boss,” Lisa says as she places the coffee on his table. Mr Williamse only nods and lets her retreat to her desk. She sighs, realising how much she misses Ethan and that it won’t be easy adjusting to his absence.
****
“How was work?” Bonnie asks, making Lisa groan. Work isn’t a topic she’d like to indulge on considering how grumpy she had been. Of course, she was professional, hiding her misery but Rachel didn’t miss it. She just brushed it off as Monday blues, still not ready to tell anyone about her private life. After Thuso, she’s not about to take that risk.
“Fine,” Lisa answers and he chuckles.
It’s recess at college and he decides that they grab something to eat before he drops her off. The man has been patient, especially when it comes to making love and wishes to talk to her about it. She’d stop all his advances, which hadn’t been like her and he’s been patient but can’t take it anymore. He wonders if she’s doing it with someone else, which is seen as the case when the man is never in the mood.
“We didn’t have to do this,” Lisa says but he shakes his head.
“We have to talk and what better way than in a full stomach? You know how I get when I’m hungry,” he says and she chuckles.
“I guess some things will never change huh”
“You can put it that way,” Bonnie says. He goes for an elite restaurant where he’d made a reservation. Their table is secluded, suitable for private conversations and anything in between. He orders a bottle of wine and the waiter leaves them to go through the menu.
“How was work for you?” Lisa asks and the man goes on to tell her about his day and from what she says, it sounds like a good one. They hadn’t gotten to talk much about Thuso, Bonnie having apologised myriad times even when she said it’s OK. The girl has vanished into the thin air, with Lisa not giving a damn because she’d rather never see her. the wine is amazing and so is the food. They eat in silence, only getting to talk when they’re down and having malva pudding for dessert.
“What’s going on with you Lisa?” Bonnie asks and Lisa raises an eyebrow.
“What do you mean by that?” Lisa asks, trying to understand where he’s going with this.
“Did you take a celibacy vow and forget to tell me? Why won’t you have sex with me?” Bonnie asks.
“Uhm, I didn’t. the truth is I… I’m no longer sexually attracted to you,” Lisa tells him, and her bluntness catches him by surprise.
“What?”
“I’ve been trying to tell you Bonnie but you’ve never awarded me the opportunity,” Lisa continues and she scoffs.
“You’re serious… you really are serious.” Bonnie says in disbelief and she nods.
“Things haven’t been the same since we got back together and to be honest, I don’t think I can continue with this. I’m sorry Bonnie but… I’m not in love with you. Not anymore”
“You’re just going to say it like that Monalisa, like my feelings don’t matter. You’re going to look at me as you hurt me like I don’t have any feelings?” Bonnie bristly asks and her heart shudders at the sight of him looking so heartbroken.
“I didn’t mean to Bonnie, I’m sorry but it’s the truth,” Lisa says.
“Don’t even think of crying Monalisa. How could you?!” Bonnie bellows.
“Bonnie –”
“Why now? Why didn’t you tell me all of this before agreeing to take me back? Why did you wait months before telling me this? in fact, why did you agree to take me back knowing you’re no longer in love with me? Was this a way of avenging yourself? Is this because I left you which I told you I regret?” Bonnie asks, tears sliding down his cheeks. It’s her first time seeing him cry and she feels bad that’s it her fault.
“No,” she whispers, unable to stop her own tears. “No”
“Is…is there someone else? There must be because you and I were so in love. You didn’t to not be in love with me when you agreed to take me back so when did the realisation strike you?” Bonnie asks, voice croakily from his crying.
“I… I must go. I will uhm… settle my uhm… part of the bill and…” Lisa stutters, wiping her tears with her napkin.
“Answer me dammit! Why the hell are you breaking up with me? who’s this fucker you’re in love with? I know you in case you forgot,” Bonnie grunts through gritted teeth. He grabs her wrist, turning hurt into fear.
“Bonnie please don’t do this,” Lisa begs.
“Do what? You played me! I gave up everything for you dammit, everything. After all we’ve been through, all I’ve done for you and you leave me like this?” His hold on her tightens and she cries different tears. “Who is he Monalisa? Tell me!”
“There’s no one. Please let go of me,” Lisa continues to beg. The disadvantage to their table comes here. The light is dim and they’re secluded so no one sees anything wrong.
“I’m not letting go of you until you tell me. Is he on your phone?” Bonnie continues.
“If you… if you don’t let go then i… I will scream”
And that snaps him out of it and he lets go, almost like he didn’t just do that. He quickly gets up and rushes out of the restaurant, leaving Lisa to take in what just happened. When the shock subsides, she remembers that she left her bag in his car and with only her phone, there’s only one person in mind who can fetch. With trembling hands, tears still gushing out, she dials the person’s number.