Thirty-four

Her brain is a little foggy when she wakes up, looking around the room to inspect where she might be. She knows she had a bit too much to drink but what she regrets the most is adding weed on to that. the combination always had her blacking out and she had made an oath to herself to never do it again. Yet somehow in trying to impress Banele, she did and regrets it because of the gruesome headache she has and all the dehydration she feels. Above that, she’s hungry as hell.
“Where is she?” she asks herself as she feels the warmth on the other side of the bed. It tells her it hasn’t been long since he got up, so she sits up and awaits his return. He wouldn’t just bring her to a hotel room and leave her, would he? Events of the previous night are fuzzy so all she remembers is before she had the blunts. She knows they didn’t have sex since she doesn’t feel anything and a part of her is a bit disappointed at her while the other gushes at the man for being such a gentleman. Any other would have taken advantage of her intoxicated state. She’s too lazy to move and too hangover to convince herself otherwise so she remains in that one spot while waiting for the man, eyes closed and listening to the thrumming in her head.
“Blo!” the man screams when he opens the door. He has a big smile on his face and looks to be the opposite of what she feels. He’s fresh, alive and hydrated. “How’re you feeling Rach?”
“Like hell,” Rachel murmurs which has him laughing.
“I can imagine. No weed for you ever,” he says with a smile yet he’s serious.
“I concur,” Rach says, and he nods.
“I got you something. It’s pain pills, some spicy wings, chips and double cheeseburgers. I know you must be starving.”
Her lips automatically curve to a smile, pink tinting her cheeks. He did this all for her even though they didn’t have sex. He thought of her and that recognition has her stomach feeling tingles.
“Thank you,” she says, still blushing furiously.
“It’s my pleasure blondie, now go brush those teeth for me so I can feed you.”
He says and shoos her away. The blonde woman gets off bed, only in his t-shirt and retreats to the bathroom. She uses the new toothbrush she finds there and washes her face. Her makeup is all slogged and her hair all over her face. she ties it up into a messy bun, brushing the stray strands with her hands then going back to the bedroom.
He’s set the food on the coffee table there with cushions as seats.
“Come,” he says with his hand stretched towards her. The blonde woman walks to the man shyly, taking his hand then sitting next to him. he doesn’t let go of her hand even when he brings his face closer to hers. She closes her eyes when she feels his breath first hitting her face then his lips touching hers. He pecks her lips twice first then bites her lower lip gently which has her gasping. His lips are soft like that of an infant and she also gets to find that they know what they’re doing, not that she expected any less. The kiss is slow, starting with lip sucking then advances to tongue. His doesn’t need to fight dominance as she allows him to take lead, loving the taste of him. his lips move from hers to kiss her jaw, the woman sighing pleasurably while dropping her head back.
“Let’s eat,” he whispers which has her opening her eyes. “You’re beautiful.”
“Oh, thank you.”
They feed each other to the last lick of sauce and then he gives her the pills he got. After that, they have an innocent shower together then check out after numbers are exchanged. He might not have gotten to bed her, but he’s enjoyed all the time he’s spent with her and looks forward to seeing her again.
*****
“And?” Lisa asks the minute he sets his feet inside her apartment.
“You’re not even waiting for me to greet,” he says, going to her and kissing her cheek. “She’s great, a ball of energy and I look forward to knowing her more.”
“Really?” she asks with a grin and he nods.
“I like her,” the big brother admits.
“And I’m pretty sure she feels the same. I’m happy for you both,” Lisa gushes which makes him chuckle.
“I didn’t say I’m getting married,” he jokes while she rolls her eyes.
“I’m just considering going into matchmaking,” Lisa says with a shrug.
“Uh, you’re antisocial first of all so who’re you going to match since your other brother is married”
She pouts, folding her arms. “Mood killer.”
“Where’s your fiancé by the way?”
“you just missed him. We met with the estate agent,” she says. “When last did you speak with our mum?”
She looks down awaiting his answer. The woman still hasn’t picked up her calls and the daughter hasn’t been brave enough to drive to her home. She fears being kicked out, something that’ll break her heart into shreds.
“It’s been some time. She does ask about you,” Banele says and she lifts her head hopefully.
“She does?” he nods. “What exactly?”
“She wanted to know if you’re going through with the wedding and when is it,” he says and her jaw falls in disappointment.
“Oh”
“I’m sorry sis but she’ll come around. I’m trying to get through to her and I hate to say this, but I think she’s being difficult for no reason,” he says.
“It’s fine. I just…wish she comes around before I give birth. It’d be great to have her bonding with her grandkids before they come,” Lisa says. The man gives her a bear hug for comfort, and they stay like that for some minutes until they’re both content. He kisses her forehead after.
“I’ll always be there.”
*****
“Thanks for coming. Can I get you anything to drink?” Amo asks and her husband shakes his head. She shrugs and beckons him to follow her to the living room where they sit next to each other.
“How’s it like being on your own?” Ethan asks while looking at his first wife who sighs.
“Lonely,” she replies then looks away. “I never thought things would play out like this.”
“Are you ready to tell me why you’re really leaving me? I know it’s not just about Lisa,” Ethan asks, and she gazes at him.
“Excuse me?”
“Don’t play dumb with me Lisa. What the hell is going on?” Ethan asks.
“We’re not in love with each other Ethan.” Amo says.
“You fell out of love?” the husband asks.
“You wouldn’t have taken a second wife if I ever was enough for you Ethan. I should have realised then that we’re not meant to be,” she says, and he snickers.
“Really?” he mocks.
“I’m just being real with you,” she says.
“Is that why you called me here? To be real with me?” Ethan asks.
“I thought we could talk,” the first wife says.
“And what exactly are we doing now?” he retorts.
“Are you really going to leave me with nothing when we divorce?” she asks and he chortles, throwing his head back while she wishes she can take her words back. How could she even ask him that? the man might end up thinking she’s a gold-digger.
“We all leave with what we came with,” Ethan says while getting on his feet. “I have to go, don’t want to miss dinner.”
“I’m not a gold-digger,” she blurts.
“No one said you are. I’ll pass your greetings to the kids,” her husband says then retreats, closing the door on his way out. The woman brushes her face with her hands while sighing. Again, why did she ask him that? what Lexy said about her possibly walking out with nothing is what has her dragging her feet with the divorce. She knows she’s done with him but the possibility of him dragging the divorce and how much it might caused her is the reason. She decides to busy herself with preparing dinner, not looking forward to eating alone again. The kids only come to her during weekends and yet she feels it’s not enough. The two are oblivious to what’s happening between their parents while their mother hopes they won’t grow up to hate her for breaking up their family. What if Ethan plants some evilness in their minds and they end up hating her. She knows he’s not that evil but she’s freaking out and it has her thinking the worst.