[ 𝟬𝟬𝟬 ] this is us, a family

tw angst, character death, some game lore, not proofread like at all, basically an old chapter, supposed to be an ending for mari-chan since i was angsty back then

☀️ ⌜ マリちゃん ⌟ ┈─❟

If only he had taken care of her more,

Asahina Masaomi constantly felt stressed out from work, yet he liked what he did. Although caring for others was enjoyable for him, the sight of blood still wears him out.

The phone rings. He took a peak, seeing that it was Ema calling. The pediatrician smiles before answering it. "Hello?"

"Ah, Masaomi-san!" A soft voice was heard from the other line, Masaomi would have smiled but he felt that something was wrong.

"Is there something wrong?" He asks.

"Mari-chan is sick," Ema answers, concerned, biting her lips. "And she kept calling for you..."

His heart swelled. Mari was calling for him. Of course, Mari always calls for him when she's sick. He was always the one taking care of her.

He opens his mouth, about to answer, but then gets cut off again by a nurse. "I-"

"Asahina-san! We need you!" The nurse looks frantically at him, her hairdo messy due to running. "Lia is throwing a tantrum again!"

Masaomi immediately stands up before remembering he was in a call. "I'll be there in a minute."

"Is there something wrong, Masaomi-san?" Ema asks, worried to the core now. She was trying to calm down Mari who was whining for Masaomi.

"I have to do something, Ema-san. I'll be home after this, okay Mari?" The last part was directed to Mari who whines even more at his voice.

"Ma-chii!"

The other line went dead as Ema sighs. "Mari-chan." She pats the little girl's head. "Masaomi-san will be back home, okay?"

"O-okay..."

He didn't come back home that night due to the work kept piling up.

***

If only he took a look at her once in a while as he does his work,

"Kyo-chii! Kyo-chii!" Mari chants, opening the door to his room where he was working on some cases.

Ukyo spared a glance, smiling at her before he looks back at his work. "Yes, Mari?"

Mari shyly looks down before revealing a drawing of the family. "I drew this! Kyo-chii! Is it good?"

Without looking up from his work, he compliments. "It looks great, Mari."

The child peaks her head from the paper before hesitantly nodding. "T-thank you, Kyo-chii..."