Chapter 43 - what will happen now

Chapter 43

He couldn't open his eyes no matter how hard he tried, his eyelids were too heavy, his ears were the only thing that worked. So he listened... Somebody was screaming, no, a lot of people were screaming.

"Too much blood lo-" They spoke in English. Katsuki knew that language pretty well but somehow couldn't make out all the words he already knew.

"We need... operation!-.. now-" Who needed an operation? Where was he anyway? His body felt so light but heavy at the same time, heavy with sleep.

"Don't... sleeping!-... die!" The words started to become more distant when he tried to relax. They sounded like he was underwater. Something was telling him to listen to the voices, to try harder, and understand them better.

But he was so tired. Katsuki was for sure laying on a bed, and it was so comfortable. How can he listen to those voices when his mind was dragging him to sleep.

"No time!... transfusion... -" Something jabbed him in his right hand. It wasn't big and it didn't hurt much, so it was a needle. Suddenly, the voices disappeared completely, a peaceful quiet followed.

His mind was slowly breaking, he couldn't think, his inner voice fading until everything was gone. There was nothing.
.
.
.
His eyes shot open, lungs trying desperately to get in all the air they could. The first thing that crossed his mind was its too white.

The white ceiling and walls were almost blinding, making him want to close his eyes again. He would if it wasn't for the fresh memories of what happened, replaying in front of his eyes.

He was about to be crushed, how the fuck is he still alive?! Somehow, the bandages around his chest and arms started to feel heavy, and Katsuki began to wonder what happened.

It was hard to breathe, but it was better than when he was in the dusty city. God, what would he do for a glass of water right now? The door on his right opened, a friendly-looking nurse going through them.

Their eyes met instantly, her gaps telling him that they didn't expect for him to wake up this soon. Before he could ask her anything, she disappeared back in the door, only to come back with, what he assumed, was a doctor.

Katsuki didn't want to deal with any of this, his body ready to go sleep for the next few hours. But when the doctor moved to sit on the chair next to him, Katsuki knew he wasn't getting any of that.

"Do you understand me?" Katsuki let those words sink in, before nodding. It was hard, his neck hurt, but it would be better than talking. "Good, do you know where you are?"

Damn, so he will have to talk. His voice shook a bit and was raspy at the edges, but the answer was understandable. "Hospital?" The doctor nodded, writing something down with his pen.

"Correct, due to your injuries, you were moved to London's closest hospital." Katsuki glared at that, trying to form the right words to ask. "Why wasn't I put in a hospital somewhere in Paris?"

The doctor grimaced, most likely not ready for that kind of question. "Paris... is in very bad shape. It was better to move the injured ones to safer places."

That made a lot of sense, but there was still something bugging him. "How... how long was I out?" It took a while for the man to answer, thinking his reply through. "It would be around thirty hours now."

Fuuuck... That was way too long. "You woke up earlier than we gave you credits for, kid. You're a tough one." If he wasn't so out of it, he would smile. Damn right I'm tough.