48. Sanguine

Rudra and Nandini were observing Abhedya and Swarnima from a far end of the garden while they were eating colourful and healthy fruits in the greens.

"He doesn't like raw fruits. He has juice instead." Nandini smiled looking at her son with admiration.

"That is the least he can do. He should feel lucky he is still alive. I feel like killing him. It's because of him my daughter experienced living hell. Kristina was his friend, he fought with Nim for an unknown reason but I am sure it must have been big enough otherwise Nim would not have left in the dark." Rudra was angry with his son.

"Don't say that Rudra. Husband and wife have misunderstandings. They fight, say mean things but ultimately make out of the mess. It was just unfortunate that the enemy took advantage of their situation. I agree, Abhey is at fault but he has learnt his lesson and we shall see a new and improved version of him." Nandini was hopeful and could see the brighter picture.

"How many times will Nim suffer for him, tell me, Nandini? She protected him till he claimed the throne and now to make him a better person she was trapped in hell when she was expecting? Don't justify Abhey and his faults." Rudra left Nandini in the garden with her thoughts. He was too angry to share a different perspective.

Abhedya was playing the perfect husband to his pregnant wife. He took care of all her needs. He even massaged her feet in the night.

"Stop! don't please. Call someone else to do it." Swarnima stopped Abhedya from rubbing oil on her feet.

"Why? Am I not doing it correctly? I learnt from, Fatimah." Abhedya gently rubbed the oil again.

"NO! I just don't want you to do it." Swarnima told him with finality.

"Sona, I know your feet are hurting. Please let me do it. I... can't see you in pain." Abhedya lowered his eyes. "I know you are angry but..."

"You are not understanding. I Don't want you to do it. I can bear that much pain so just... relax." Swarnima took her feet back and looked elsewhere.

With sadness all over his face by the rejection of his wife Abhedya kept the oil in its place and washed his hands. Swarnima felt sad and bad too. She could not give him the reason for refusal but her cheeks turned pink with the thought of it.

She quietly got up to change for the night. When she opened her cupboard and she was impressed. All kinds of clothes were neatly set. She picked out a cute unicorn nightdress and changed into it. She saw herself in the mirror and for the first time in months observed her reflection admiringly.

Her cheeks were chubby,
her stomach was round,
her hands were downy 
she looked like glory was crowned.

"You look alluring." Abhedya could not refrain from complimenting.

"I always do." Swarnima's reply made Abhedya stunned. The girl who felt shy at little love gestures was least affected by a compliment.

Swarnima came back on the bed with a pinch of pink on her face. Thankfully before Abhedya could observe her tint their room's bell rang and Arya, Aadya and Taran came in.

"Till the time your sleep schedule normalises we will give you company in the night." Arya declared as soon as they entered the room. Before Taran could jump on Nim out of excitement Abhedya caught him.

"Taran, Nim chi is also having babies like mumma, so, no jumping around okay."

"Aby can talk softly? Wow! If it were a normal day he would have scolded Taran." Swarnima thought admiring her husband.