8. Golden girl in gold

Sleep was far far away from Swarnima's eyes. She did take a nap before the mad kiss from her fiancé and now the 'beauty sleep' she was instructed to take was nowhere in her eyes. Thoughts of love and her lover clouded her mind. She wanted to love Abhedya endlessly. She wanted to have babies with him. She wanted to throw pregnancy tantrums and enjoy the pampering from king daddy. Struggle to send the kids to school. Spoil them, scold them. Get them married and die a day before Abhedya dies. Once a protector, forever a protector. If she was alive that would mean her king, her Raja sa, is alive. The thought of parting with Abhedya scared her. Nothing but her death only, could part them. With varied thoughts, sleep finally graced her.

There were no major functions for the day except for the 'gehna ceremony' where the ladies from the groom's side bring clothes, jewellery and other accessories for the bride. It was an important ceremony but a small one because Swarnima did not have relatives and the receiver and sender of the gifts were the same people. Yet Nandini and Pri decided to make it a fun affair by inviting few relatives from their side and ladies of Nandini's NGO Gharonda. Those ladies were like family and treated Swarnima like their own.
One of the halls in the palace was decorated in pastel shades with subtle decor because the display was total bling. Swarnima entered the hall in a very simple mint green coloured ankarkali suit. Anything and everything suited her. She was made to sit on a silver stool covered with red velvet cloth in the centre of the hall and Pri applied tilak to her.
She was given the family heirloom which was set in navratni stones with polki diamond consisting of neckless, jumki earrings, a borla which was the distinguished identity of the Rajavanshi clan, matching bangles which were made to fit her size, a huge ring for the index finger, slave bracelet in similar design, a brooch which only the queen can adorn, a big round nose pin which started from the nose and was to be attached to the hair behind the ear, two pieces of armlets, a belly belt which was embedded in gold and had similar stones like the ones in the necklace, a pair of heavy anklets in silver.
Nandini, Pri and Tara were making Swarnima wear the heavy jewellery. Once they were done Swarnima was made to look in the mirror. "Masi, I look like a clown. It's so heavy. I feel like I can't breathe."

The message was only for Nandini but the entire hall was laughing at Swarnima's innocence and naivety. No girl would say jewellery, is too much jewellery. It was the family heirloom of the royal family, it was an antique and priceless.

"Of course, you would feel that way, you have never really worn or possessed such jewellery or clothing. I understand you don't have a mother. These pieces of jewellery are so unique and tasteful. Don't mind child, you are going to be the future queen, behave like one. Just being picked by the king will not make you one." Tara's aunt taunted. She was a wicked woman and never left a chance to snap at Swarnima and at times Tara too.

Pri was about to answer her back but Swarnima asked her to leave the topic, they knew how she was. But some people love bickering. So she continued "I think my daughter Raina was meant for that neckpiece. What do you say, Tara?"

"Raina is meant for the world," Tara answered pleasing her Aunt but the ladies understood the underlined meaning. Raina was linked to every other powerful man in the state. Not forgetting to mention that Raina had tried her hands on Abhedya and Arya but failed miserably.

Nandini looked lovingly at Swarnima and told her "You were my princess, now please be my son's queen. You are the rightful owner of this royalty. Show your power and keep your head high. We can't thank the almighty enough for sending you to our lives." She kissed Swarnima's forehead and caressed her cheeks.

"Ladies and ladies please sit back on your seats and enjoy this fun-filled act by none other than The Gharonda Diva's." Arundhati the girl who was saved by Swarnima and Abhedya from being raped by the demon Dushyant Singh announced on the microphone. Arundhati was in Gharonda and called Swarnima her knight in shining armour, just like many others.