52. Perceptions

'Arya' was the rainbow to Swarnima and Abhedya's cloud.

"Nim, I am sorry for hiding this but you were not in a good state. You were so broken and annoyed with everyone I thought you might not be able to take more. Now, since you have discovered it I don't see a point in hiding it from you anymore." Arya took a deep breath and continued, "Nim, ever since you left, Abhey, was like a lost puppy. He kept on consoling himself that you cannot just leave. I guess, you guys also had an argument before your disappearance and he kept blaming himself for it. Probably he was the reason too.
He worked like a machine, day and night to divert attention but it didn't work. He made a blunder at the office because of which for the first time Swarnbhoomi Technologies had to face legal troubles. You know how passionate he was about his work and after that, he lost his confidence in doing anything.
The news of your pregnancy was like a final blow. He kicked himself, hit himself and boxed himself when he was alone. He appeared normal when we all were around. Masking his emotions is at what he is a pro now. Just like his wife." Arya sounded bitter and Swarnima looked heartbroken.
"All he wanted was to punish himself but he couldn't because he found some articles and an undone SCRAPBOOK. He felt happy and treasured. That was when he got tipped about your whereabouts and with a new zeal, he sort to get his wife, the mother of his kids, back. Sadly, he had lost his ability to fight. He was weak. He was no longer the one-man army we knew. That's when he started to take these medicines. He drugged himself with energy boosters and power gainers. When you came back, your indifference just confirmed to him that indeed he was the reason for all your sorrows and pain. He was the reason his kids suffered even before coming to the world. He added more medicines so that sleep stays far away from him and he can guard you. He, I doubt, sleeps more than two or three hours a day.
Tell me one thing Nim, do you doubt that he loves you?" Arya questioned Swarnima who nodded her head in a strong NO.
Arya moved his thumb on Swarnima's cheek and suggested, "Nim, don't pity him. Take your decisions wisely. He and you both need love. This is the time to be happy not to punish each other. Be parents, not enemies."

Swarnima was sitting on her bed quietly. The backstory she never tried to find nor anyone told her. She could see Abhedya was sad and repenting but she didn't notice he was hurting too. He was not himself. He was unusually quiet and just doing what was expected of him. Not only was he facing her ignorance but his father's wrath too. She had not even once let him touch her belly and feel the movements of her kids. Swarnima suddenly felt guilty but then Abhedya's words echoed in her mind "I doubt that was my child". She still loved him and he failed her but he also failed as a father. He was just doing his duties and that is something he is bound to do.

"Hey... are you okay? Sorry, I got stuck somewhere. Why did you call Arya? Is there a problem?" Abhedya looked panicked.

"I am fine. I just wanted to ask him about something." Swarnima replied calmly like she used to.

"Um... did he, say something? I mean..." Abhedya sounded worried. He did not want Swarnima to know about the pills he was taking. He had assured Arya he will stop taking them but he wasn't sure if Arya trusted his words.

"About your last night meeting? He said, there was a better alternative of iron tablets available and he will soon get them." Swarnima replied adjusting herself comfortably. Abhedya nodded in 'okay' and went for changing his clothes.

"But, I didn't tell Arya about medicine." Abhedya came out of the dressing room and declared, only to realise the goof-up he did. Swarnima raised one brow and looked at him. Abhedya looked scared. It was an achievement. If your man feels scared after lying to you, you have won.

"I...I... mean," Abhedya was at a loss of words. He could not think of any excuse.

"Haven't you started to lie a lot, lately? Anyways, I am not interested in knowing the real reason but I am interested in going out on a drive. I am bored. Will you take me out?" Swarnima asked him and Abhedya's heart pumped happiness. It will be the first time in months they will be going for a drive.