51. Shady patch

'You were my sunshine and my shade
The gloomy clouds covered the sunshine and
Cracks ruptured the shade.'

Swarnima was flabbergasted with the showdown between Arya and Abhedya. Visibility was low but she had a hawk's eye vision and could clearly see the tight slap that landed on her King's cheek. Abhedya was not saying anything or defending himself, just standing there with his head hung low. After a few minutes, Arya hugged Abhedya tightly and pressed his broad shoulders hard. The brothers moved in opposite directions and Swarnima also quickly sat on the bed like she was sitting before. But, her heart was at unease and she was boiling in anger. How could Arya slap his best friend?

What changed while she was not here. Until now, she thought, Abhedya realised his mistakes and was making up for them. Now, it was enough. She needs to find out is it just the guilt or something else too. When Abhedya came to the room he gave a faint smile to Swarnima and asked if she was fine. She just nodded her head because the reddened finger marks that her husband was trying to hide were visible and afflicted her. Abhedya moved to the washroom quickly to wash his face and hide the mark, somehow. Swarnima followed him but he was quick. She decided to change for the night thinking about what just happened.

Rudra was angry with Abhedya because he blamed him for Swarnima's kidnap and their falling apart marriage but Arya always stood by Abhedya and tried his best to normalise the situation. Then, what was the reason for his anguish?

"Sorry! I...I... didn't know... you were changing. I swear." Abhedya closed his eyes with his hands like a small boy.

Swarnima came out of her thoughts and buttoned her shirt quickly. She felt shy. "It's okay. Nothing you haven't seen before."

Did she say that?

Swarnima was amazed and Abhedya was bewildered by the bold statement. Sure, he had seen every inch of her skin and soul and dreamt about making out with the temptation in his room all the time but her comment just caught him off guard. The kiss in the morning and the statement now was enough to give him a happy sleepless night.

He changed for the night as well and gave Swarnima her medicines and dry fruits before sleep. She took them quietly observing her husband. Which form of love was this? The definition of love she knew was being each other's strength and reason of happiness. She was hurting him and he was the reason she was hurt.

"Does that mean, you will hurt him with equal fervour?" Her heart countered. "But, he needs to understand that she has feelings too and not everything he says can be washed away with just a 'sorry'. Especially the demeaning words he said about her unborn questioning her loyalty and love. Till the time he learns his lessons well, the wall of distance shall exist." Swarnima made her decision but Abhedya's lost self and the incident with Arya melted her heart.

"What did Arya want so late in the night?" Swarnima finally questioned breaking the ice.

"Umm... he wanted to discuss some medicines. He... he said, there is a better alternative to the iron tablet you are consuming." Abhedya tried his best to give a convincing explanation.

"Liar!" Swarnima remarked and lie on the bed facing the opposite side.

After her return as the time passed, she started facing Abhedya while sleeping and on some nights her hand subconsciously caught his thumb for comfort.

Abhedya did not want the secret he was hiding to come out so he didn't defend himself. He knew Swarnima will catch his lies. He slipped in the bed and pretended to sleep. Today, however, Swarnima also fake snored. After half an hour Abhedya got up from the bed and opened his side drawer and gulped water. Swarnima just didn't have sharp eyes but her hearing and analysing the sound was brilliant. She noted to check what was in the drawer next day? Exhaustion took over so she slept.