Chapter 47

Kaylee, Aubree, and I were all in Aubree's room having a girl's night.  We were laying across the bed eating junk.  We had popcorn, cookies, chips; anything that fell into the category of salty or sweet.

"You know, eating this much junk before we go try on dresses in the morning, might not be the best idea."  I said before stuffing my mouth full of popcorn.   

"You're probably right." Aubree said stuffing her mouth full of chocolate cookies.

"Mrs. Ashcroft wants to start working on decorations Monday.  She said she could write excuses for you to get out of your elective classes to help."  I told Kaylee.  

"That would be awesome!"  Kaylee said.

"Why can't we hang out with you guys?"  Jonah asked as he, Jesse, and Ayden busted through the door of Aubree's bedroom.

"Because it is a girl's night."  Kaylee said.

"You're watching a movie and we want to watch a movie.  Why can't we watch a movie together?"  Ayden asked giving me puppy-dog eyes.  

"Fine.  Carry everything downstairs."  Aubree said.  "But... we are going shopping tomorrow.  Girls only.

"Deal."  Ayden agreed.

"Do you want to watch a scary movie, Mak?"  Jonah joked.  I raised my middle finger causing everyone to laugh.  

We ended up watching a romantic comedy, which I actually enjoyed.  Since I gave love a chance a lot of things have changed.  We all cuddled up with our significant other and watched the movie.

               *********************************************************************

I looked in the mirror and admired my black A-line halter top.  It was covered in sequence and designs in gold thread.  The satin dark green skirt that ended about four inches above my knee.  I matched it with black heels.  I had my hair in an elegant up-do.  I applied extra makeup for the special occasion, including a red lipstick.  I walked downstairs so my parents could take pictures of me before they had to drive up north for business party my dad had to attend.  

After my parents left, I gathered my keys, lipstick, and other items to put in my clutch.  I wasn't supposed to meet my friends for another hour.  Ayden was supposed to be picking me up, but I decided to head on over to their house.  

"Makenzie?"  A voice I hadn't heard in a long time startled me.

"Brayden?  What are you doing here?" I asked as I finished locking the front door before turning around.  "What happened to your face?"  I asked studying his face.  The bruising on his face was almost completely faded, but I could tell it must have been bad. 

"I came to talk to you as soon as I was able."  Brayden said.

"Able?  What happened to you?"

"Yeah.  After the last time I saw you, I got jumped.  I've only been out of the hospital for a couple of days."

"Who jumped you?"  I asked, my heart starting to beat faster.

"I don't know who they were, but I know who sent them.  You do, too."  Brayden said giving me a serious look.

"How do you know that for sure?"  I asked crossing my arms.  

"Did Aubree know about Ayden and Sarah?"  He challenged.

"It's not what you think.  Those pictures were from before.  Sarah is lying." 

"I'm worried about you."  He said placing a hand on my shoulder.  His eyes found mine, studying my face.