Chapter 20

The next few days were rough. You were lucky enough to have the week off work, but your recovery came slow.

Kuroo was busy keeping up with your medications, dressing your wounds, and making sure you felt okay. Fortunately, by the third day you were able to walk around the house and do most things yourself.

"Do you mind if I invite a friend or two over today?" Kuroo asked that afternoon as he made you lunch. "N-not like a party," he hesitated seeing your nervous face. "Just to talk a bit. You can leave whenever, I just thought you'd want to say hi."

"Sure," you smiled. "It's your place anyway, I'm not going to tell you what to do."

"Whenever you stay here it's for the two of us," he corrected you. He leaned in and kissed you, running his hand over your back.

"Wait," you pulled back. "What if they ask about the cast? Or anything else?"

"We'll come up with something, don't worry."

You were lying to Kuroo, Kuroo was hiding what he knew from you, and now you were both going to make up stories for others. You just wished things could be as simple as they seemed at the surface.

A few hours later, the doorbell rang.

"Can you get it?" Kuroo asked as he set the dinner plates.

"Sure," you hurried to the door. You opened it and saw a tall white and grey-haired man with a big smile on his face. You recognized him as the volleyball player from Kuroo's photo album.

"Akaashi look, it's Kuroo's girl!" he gave you a big hug. You felt like the life was being squeezed out of you.

"Bokuto, stop," another man appeared from behind him. "Can't you see she's injured?" Bokuto pulled away and scratched his head.

"Sorry...Y/N? Is that it?" Bokuto asked. You nodded as you let them in.

"I'm Bokuto. This is Akaashi. We've known Kuroo since high school," Bokuto sat down at the table. Akaashi sat next to him and you sat across from him as Kuroo brought dinner over.

"If you don't mind me asking, how'd that happen?" Akaashi eyed your cast.

"Oh, um..."

"Car wreck," Kuroo answered him for you. "She's a little embarrassed about it."

"Yeah," you smiled, rubbing your head. "What he said."

"I'm sorry about that," Akaashi apologized.

"So are you two living together now?" Bokuto asked. "How long has it been?"

"I'm just staying here until I get better," you laughed nervously. "We've only been together for what? A few months? Anyways, you have to tell me what being a pro volleyball player is like. I never thought I'd meet one!" you changed the subject, not wanting to answer any more questions about your relationship.

The four of you talked well into the night. Kuroo and Bokuto bickered a lot, Akaashi joining in once in a while.

You were starting to get tired when you got a phone call. The specific ringtone made you shake.

"I have to take this," you excused yourself. Kuroo and Bokuto nodded and continued to talk but Akaashi realized something was wrong. You quickly hurried to a hallway and picked up the phone.

"It's been a week and you haven't checked up ma'am," a voice on the other side spoke.

"Sorry. I've been a little busy recovering after...you know."

"We know. It's no excuse to forget our weekly call in though," the man said sternly.

"Wait, how? How do you know?" You'd made up excuses but hadn't updated your government agent yet.

"We're above the police. Your name flagged in their system and we're covering things up. It's our job to know everything. It's the only way we can protect you. You know that."

"H-how much do you know?" you asked nervously.

"We know you've been breaking the rules we set. We've let it slide but you can't let that relationship of yours go any further."

"Wait!" you pleaded. "I thought this would all end when you found out the people responsible!"

"It will, but we still have to apprehend them. We're making progress but it could be months, maybe even a year or two before that happens. You should cut off close ties before things get too far."

You weren't supposed to be having close relationships during this period of time, but your government agent didn't seem too strict about that rule until now.

"But—" you started. "Is that an order?"

"I'm sorry, what?"

"I said, is that a direct order?" you repeated more clearly. "If I don't do as you say, will I be in more danger?"

"Technically, no but—"

"Okay. I think I'll do as I please then. Goodnight," you hung up and took a deep breath, walking down the hall. As usual you didn't think before you spoke.

You jumped when you saw Akaashi standing around the corner, his back against the wall.

"Did you hear me on the phone?" you whispered, looking him straight in the eye.

Your call would seem extremely suspicious to anyone who didn't know it's true intent.

Akaashi nodded. His initial feeling about you and his job as a prosecutor made him feel there was something bad about your phone conversation. He'd seen too many shady people  to not know something was up.

"I heard everything," he turned you around, pushing your back against the wall and grabbing your wrists.