Chapter 35: A Lifetime Together

A week later you and Kuroo had anniversary dinner and exchanged gifts. He was pleasantly surprised, you usually weren't one to give such extravagant presents. You were almost prepared for your trip but had one last thing to do before leaving for the cruise.

"Rosefield?" you confirmed with Oikawa over the phone.

"Yeah," he replied. "See you guys there at 9?"

"Sounds good." You and Kuroo headed to the car and drove to the outskirts of town to the cemetery, meeting Oikawa outside.

No one said a word as you first visited your parents grave. Kuroo wrapped an arm around your waist and Oikawa stood beside you as you spoke to them.

"Mom, Dad. I miss you. The world still feels lonely without you, but I've found someone who treats me like family. Well, I married him so he is my family now. You probably wouldn't like the way he comes off to be honest, but his intentions are pure. He's a pain but he makes me so happy. I wish you could've been there for the wedding. Bet you never thought I'd have one, huh? I changed my mind when I met him. Mom, Dad, I really wish you could meet him too. His name's Kuroo by the way. That's my last name now too. Keeping the family name was too difficult after you passed, but you'll always be in my heart.  I'll visit again soon. I love you."

You placed flowers on their graves and paid respects. Kuroo did the same as you and Oikawa walked to Sarah's grave, but he stayed behind for a moment.

"I don't know if you gave me your blessing or not the last time I was here—when I asked to marry your daughter—but regardless, I promise I've been treating her right." He then followed you and Oikawa. Oikawa did the same ritual, leaving a note for Sarah and saying one last thing before leaving.

"By the way, Sarah. You know how you wanted me to move on? I found someone, we've been together for a while now. She made me believe in true love again, but I need your blessing before I ask her the important question I never got the chance to ask you." Lightning lit up the graveyard. "Is that a yes? I'll take it as a yes. I promise I'll treat her right. I love her but I'll always miss you. Watch over us, will you? See you later, Sarah."

The three of you sat outside the cemetery entrance in the rain for a while. You leaned on Kuroo's shoulder and Oikawa leaned on yours. After a while you all decided to get up and head home. Before you parted ways, Oikawa grabbed your shoulder and stopped you.

"Are you okay?" you asked. Those were the first words you spoke to each other all night.

"I just wanted to thank you. You too, Kuroo. I kept believing in true love because you guys were right in front of me the entire time."

"Are you actually gonna propose?" you asked as you gave Oikawa a hug.

"Yeah. I thought the cruise would be a good time."

"Seriously? Why'd you invite us then if you were planning on doing that!"

"I want you guys to be there so I don't mess up. You have experience," he ruffled Kuroo's hair, messing it up. "Plus I need people to set up and take pictures."

"I guess we could do that, right Y/N?" Kuroo asked you.

"I wouldn't mind," you smiled, taking his hand as you and Oikawa parted ways.

"By the way Y/N, how did Kuroo propose to you? You guys never told me," he called out to you.

"Umm," you stalled.

"I just did it after we hooked up," you gave Kuroo a glare as he entered the car and shut the door.

"Why would you say that?!" you said, angrily. It was beyond embarrassing.

"Isn't that how it happened?"

"Yeah, but at least come up with a better story to tell people!"

"It's just Oikawa, we've known him for so long."

The two of you continued your bickering for years and years to come. However much you disagreed you still fell asleep in each others arms at the end of the day. Over time you learned that was what true love was.

Kuroo was your true love. He always had been. From the first time you met him to the day you stood at the altar with him, you knew he was different. Though you were difficult at times, you loved him all along.

You loved seeing him become the new head of the company and achieve all his goals, just the way he told you he would. You loved seeing him as a caring father, loving his children the same way he loved his nieces and nephews. But most of all you loved him for him. Intelligent, light-hearted, caring: he was everything you needed in your life.

Kuroo was your true love, and you couldn't wait for a lifetime more with him.

Author's Note: This is the end of the fic :( I wanted to do a few chapters after the proposal because it felt incomplete and I'm happy with this ending now. Thanks so much for reading and I hope you liked it! If you have any feedback on my writing I'd love to here it so I can improve :)