Chapter 27

"What just happened?" Oikawa asked, walking up to Akaashi. He held a scrap of paper with a number on it. "Why did she—"

"She still likes him," Akaashi interrupted, looking down as it started to rain.

"Yeah, that's why I—" Oikawa paused, dragging Akaashi under the building as it rained harder. "Wait what? Why'd she just kiss you then?"

"A goodbye I guess," Akaashi shrugged. He knew nothing would become of it so he decided to use his confession to convince you to give Kuroo a second chance.

"Is she going to talk to him then?"

"Up to her. I hope she does."

"Yeah, me too," Oikawa said, seeing Akaashi looked a little down. "C'mon, keep your head up man! She might not like you that way but she's still grateful for you."

"As long as she's happy," Akaashi sighed.

"You sound just like him. You're both hopeless," Oikawa laughed, stretching his arms. "Well then, hurry up and finish your case so we can all go drinking tonight. You could use a distraction."

Oikawa handed Akaashi an umbrella and walked back inside his office, forgetting what he actually came down to do.

The scrap of paper with a phone number laid on the sidewalk fully soaked. The number was Kuroo's. He'd meant to give it to you because Kuroo's number had changed, but he forgot.

"How are we supposed to go out if you work so late all the time?" Oikawa groaned, entering Kuroo's office a little later. Kuroo had been working later and later each night. He purposely gave his subordinates time off and did their work so he would have something to preoccupy his mind with. Kuroo ignored Oikawa and kept working.

"You know she still wears it," Oikawa brought up something that would get his friend's attention. "The necklace."

"Huh?" Kuroo looked up.

"The necklace. You know the one."

"Are you sure?"

"Obviously. I saw it with my own eyes," Oikawa said as Akaashi walked in. "Oh, Akaashi! Let's go, Kuroo's being a wet blanket."

"I am not!" Kuroo got defensive. "Wait, she seriously still wears the necklace?" he lowered his voice, still hung up on what he'd heard.

"Yeah."

"The one with the silver chain and—"

"Ruby ring strung on it. What else? Let's go out now," Oikawa yawned.

"When is she gonna be ready to talk again?" Kuroo leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes and letting out an exasperated sigh.

"She's been ready," Akaashi said quietly.

"Hmm?"

"He said she's been ready! Ugh you guys are both so stupid. Not you Akaashi. Him and Y/N," Oikawa blurted.

"Ready? She never said she wanted to see me though," Kuroo seemed confused.

"She still has feelings for you," Akaashi struggled to get the words out. "She's silently crying for help. She's already forgiven you in her head. I think she wants you to be yourself again and save her."

"She told you all that?" Kuroo asked. "Wait, I thought she wanted to be with you?" Akaashi shook his head.

"When did you get so pathetic at reading people. I swear you used to know anything and everything and now you can't even figure out the obvious," Oikawa scoffed. "The old Kuroo I know would not be sitting waiting for something he wanted. He'd go get it."

Kuroo looked up at his friend, ready to act on his words.

"Terminal C, gate 20 lounge. Boards in..." Oikawa checked the clock.

"40 minutes," Akaashi said.

"Are you kidding me?!" he grabbed his keys and coat. "Rush hour better be over," he muttered, running out his office.

Halfway across town you sat at the bar in the airport lounge. You hovered your finger over Kuroo's number for what felt like forever.

"Call him," a man sitting next to you said. You turned to face him, surprised someone was sitting there.

"Huh? Who are you?" you asked.

"I'll tell you once you call whoever that is," he said, pointing to your phone.

"Seriously?"

"Why not? Just call him, it can't be that bad. I'll press it for you if you can't," he shrugged.

You lightly slid your phone over. Who cares if a complete stranger knew? you thought.

He pressed the button, putting the phone on speaker as the two of you heard it ring. One ring, two, three. Twelve rings and then voicemail.

"No worries. We'll try again," he pressed the button again. No answer. He tried two more times before you pocketed your phone and buried your face in your hands.

"Why didn't he pick up?" you whispered. "He was supposed to wait for me."

"Wait for you?"

"For me to be ready...to talk to him again."

"Oh. Bad breakup?"

"Yeah. It's all my fault," you asked for another drink.

"Well then obviously he won't pick up."

"Huh?"

"You're overthinking it. If you're the one who messed up, he doesn't have to wait for you or pick up when you call," the man placed a $100 bill on the counter. "For her drinks too," he got up and walked to a nearby couch.

"Wait, no!" you followed after him, sitting beside him. "It's not like that. He messed up, my reaction just made it worse. I shouldn't have ignored him."

"If you're both screwups then why the hell aren't you back together? Just admit you each did something wrong and make up," he said nonchalantly.

You thought about what he said. He made forgiving seem so simple, something you were starting to believe really was. But at the same time you thought about how he'd said Kuroo didn't have to wait for you or do anything for you at all.

The more you pondered the more you realized he was right. You couldn't expect Kuroo to chase after you as usual, especially when you were in the wrong too.

"1335 to Hong Kong. Business class boarding now," the intercom interrupted your thoughts.

"Oh, that's me," the two of you said at the same time, getting up.

"Would you look at that," he said, surprised. "Hong Kong?" You nodded. "Well then let's go," he started walking.

"Wait! Before we go," you caught up with him. "You never told me your name."

"Iwaizumi," he smiled. "Iwaizumi Hajime."