Chapter 26

Weeks passed after the wedding and you still hadn't talked to Kuroo. You couldn't bring yourself to see him again. You moved back in to your old apartment with the help of Akaashi and paid Kuroo a check for the car he got for your anniversary, though he never cashed it in.

Work was civil—the two of you were great at acting. But today was a particularly special day.

"You're really going, huh," Kyoka said as you cleared your desk. You checked the last of your cubicle for anything left behind, finding a photo frame in the small space between your desk and the wall.

You slowly slid it out and saw it was a picture of you and Kuroo from your first date. It must have fallen and you didn't bother to pick it up.

You felt Kyoka look over your shoulder and slid the frame back where it came from. You couldn't get yourself to keep it, but you couldn't throw it away either.

"I'll be back before you know it," you tried to smile. You'd been waiting for this day for so long, yet here you were suddenly feeling uneasy.

"Y/N, you're not just going cause of what happened, right? Don't run away from what's bothering you," she grabbed your shoulder, clearly concerned.

"Don't be silly, obviously not. It just happens to be nice timing," you gave her a hug. "It's a great offer, and it's just six months. When I get back there's a promotion waiting for me too."

"I forgot," she frowned. "It's your last day here, huh. We're really gonna miss you, you know. All of us."

You looked around the office, noticing it was eerily empty. You could make out where each of your coworkers sat—they were always so kind to you, nothing like what you'd heard the cutthroat finance world would be like.

You really were going to miss Japan, but you needed a change of pace and an opportunity to accelerate your career. Or at least that's what you told yourself to deal with the fact that you were running away from Kuroo and your problems.

"I'm not too good with goodbyes," you grabbed your bag and put your jacket on. "I think I'm just gonna go before I cry or something."

"I get it," Kyoka sighed. "Before you go though, I think I saw your coffee mug in the break room. You should check if it's yours."

You nodded and headed to the room. You turned the lights on and jumped in surprise at what was there.

"Surprise Y/N!" a coworker smiled.

"It's a goodbye—no—a see you later party!" another coworker yelled behind a banner. Good luck in Hong Kong! it read.

You shook your head at how corny this was. Only one person you knew would think of something like this, but when you searched the room he was nowhere to be found.

You looked out the door as your coworkers surrounded you, eyeing his office out of the corner of your eye. He looked up and smiled before continuing to work.

"Looking for the boss?" a coworker asked.

"What? No!"

"Sorry, he said he had an important deadline. But he planned most of this out for you, gave us all the evening off, too."

"Really?"
Your coworker nodded and you smiled, attempting to enjoy your going away party as much as one could enjoy a going away party.

Half an hour later you checked your watch, amazed how fast time had passed by.

"Crap! I'm gonna be late for my flight!" you blurted. Everyone gave you one last hug before you left and gathered your things. You were waiting for the elevator when someone stopped you. You felt a hand on your shoulder—Oikawa's.