The Benders

Dean and Sam were dressed as Sheriffs as they stood in a living room talking to a boy and his mother.

"I know you're just doing your job, but the police have been here all week already." The Mother argued "I don't see why we have to go through this again. The more he tells the story, the more he believes it's true,"

"Mrs. McKay, we know you spoke with the local authorities," Sam said.

"But, uh, this seems like a matter for the state police, so..." Dean said.

"Don't worry about how crazy it sounds, Evan. You just tell us what you saw,"

"I was up late, watching TV. When I heard this weird noise," Evan explained.

"What did it sound like?" Sam asked.

"It sounded like...a monster,"

Dean and Sam exchanged a look.

Mrs. Mckay rolled her eyes "Tell the officers what you were watching on TV,"

"Godzilla Vs. Mothra," Evan admitted.

Dean smiled "That's my favorite Godzilla movie. It's so much better than the original, huh?"

"Totally,"

"Yeah." Dean nodded towards Sam "He likes the remake,"

"Yuck!"

Sam glared at Dean and cleared his throat "Evan, did you see what this thing was?"

"No. But I saw it grab Mr. Jenkins. It pulled him underneath the car,"

"Then what?"

"It took him away. I heard the monster leaving. It made this really scary sound,"

"What did it sound like, Evan?"

"Like this...whining growl,"

Sam and Dean exchanged another look.

Sam nodded to Mrs. McKay "Thanks for your time,"

***

Sam was having a beer at a table, looking at research as Natalia sat in his lap eating cheerios. He knew he wasn't happy with having her in an adult bar, but after the incident with Max, Sam couldn't help but feel as though that the demon was after both him and his daughter and he didn't want to risk losing her as well.

Dean was nearby, throwing darts.

"So, local police have now ruled out foul play. Apparently, there are worse signs of a struggle," Sam explained.

"Well, they could be right, it could just be a kidnapping. Maybe this isn't our kind of gig," Dean shrugged.

Sam sighed "Yeah, maybe not. Except for this-Dad marked the area, Dean,"

Dean came to the table and looked at their father's journal

"Possible hunting grounds of a phantom attacker," Sam continued.

"Why would he even do that?" Dean wondered.

"Well, he found a lot of local folklore about a dark figure that comes out at night. Grabs people, then vanishes. He found this too-this county has more missing persons per capita than anywhere else in the state," Sam explained.

"That is weird," Dean noted.

"Yeah,"

"Don't phantom attackers usually snatch people from their beds? Jenkins was taken from a parking lot,"

"Well, there are all kinds. You know, Spring Heeled Jacks, phantom gassers. They take people anywhere, anytime." Sam sighed "Look, Dean, I don't know if this is our kind of gig either,"