Faith [5]

Sam and Dean were sitting at the table in the motel room, Natalia's drawing laying in the center.

"You really think it's THE Grim Reaper? Like, the angel of death, collect your soul, the whole deal?" Sam wondered.

"No no no, not THE reaper, A reaper. There's reaper law in pretty much every culture on earth, it goes by 100 different names, it's possible that there's more than one of them," Dean explained.

"And you think my daughter saw this dude..."

"What, you think he shoulda been working the whole black robe thing? You said it yourself that the clock stopped right? Reapers stop time,"

"Yeah but reapers only appear when someone's time has come which is why I couldn't see it...but that still doesn't explain..." Sam pointed to Natalia's drawing "this,"

"Has she done this sort of thing before?"

Sam hesitated but nodded as he brought out Natalia's drawing of the tree in front of his childhood home.

"But this is from..."

"I know," Sam said.

"And you didn't say?!"

"I didn't know what it was at the time...still don't,"

Both boys looked over at the sleeping toddler.

"We'll figure it out, Sammy. But for now, the question is how is Roy controlling the damn thing?"

"That cross," Sam realized.

"What?"

"There was this cross, I noticed it in the church and I knew I had seen it before." Sam looked through some papers and snorted. He held a card up to Dean. "Here,"

Dean leaned in to take the card "A Tarot?"

"It makes sense. A tarot dates back to the early Christian era right when some priests were still using magic? And a few of them veered into the dark stuff? Necromancy and how to push death away, how to cause it?"

"So Roy's using black magic to bind the reaper?"

"If he is he's riding the whirlwind. It's like putting a dog leash on a great white,"

Dean rose to put his cup in the sink, then leaned back against it "Ok then we stop Roy,"

"How?"

"You know how,"

"Wait, what the hell are you talking about Dean, we can't kill Roy,"

"Sam the guy's playing God, he's deciding who lives and dies. That's a monster in my book,"

"No. We're not going to kill a human being Dean. We do that we're no better than he is,"

"Ok, we can't kill Roy, we can't kill Death. Any bright ideas college boy?"

"Ok. uh...if Roy's using some kind of black spell on the reaper, we gotta...figure out what it is. And how to break it,"

***

The Impala bounced down the badly graveled and potholed road again, passing a sign that said:

Service Today.

The Winchesters parked and exited the Impala.

"If Roy's using a spell, there might be spellbook," Sam reasoned

"See if you can find it." Dean said as he took Natalia from Sam "Hurry up too, the service starts in fifteen minutes. I'll try to stall Roy,"

"Roy LeGrange is a fraud. He's no healer," A man preached as he held out a leaflet to Dean.