Home [3]

Dean was speaking to the owner of Gunther's Auto Repair, Sam had decided to stay in the Impala as Natalia was being fussy. "So you and John Winchester, you used to own this garage together?"

"Yeah, we used to, a long time ago," The owner explained "Matter of fact, it must be, uh...twenty years since John disappeared. So why the cops interested all of a sudden?"

"Oh, we're re-opening some of our unsolved cases, and the Winchester disappearance is one of 'em,"

"Oh, well, what do you wanna know about John?"

"Well, whatever you remember, you know, whatever sticks out in your mind,"

"Well...he was a stubborn bastard, I remember that." The owner laughed "And, uh, whatever the game, he hated to lose, you know? It's that whole Marine thing,"

Dean nodded.

"But, oh, he sure loved Mary. And he doted on those kids,"

"But that was before the fire?" Dean asked

"That's right,"

"He ever talk about that night?"

"No, not at first. I think he was in shock,"

"Right. But eventually? What did he say about it?"

"Oh, he wasn't thinkin' straight. He said something' caused that fire and killed Mary,"

"He ever says what did it?"

"Nothin' did it. It was an accident...an electrical short in the ceiling or walls or somethin'. I begged him to get some help, but..."

"But what?"

"Oh, he just got worse and worse,"

"How?"

"Oh, he started readin' these strange old books. He started goin' to see this palm reader in town,"

"Palm reader? Uh, do you have a name?"

The owner scoffed "No,"

***

The Impala was parked by a pay phone, where Sam was looking through a phonebook as Natalia sat in the backseat watching an episode of Scooby Doo. "All right, so there are a few psychics and palm readers in town." Sam said "There's someone named El Divino. There's, uh..." he laughed "...there's the Mysterious Mister Fortinsky. Uh, Missouri Moseley..."

"Wait, wait. Missouri Mosely?" Dean asked

"What?"

"That's a psychic?"

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, I guess so,"

Dean went into the backseat of the Impala tousling Natalia's hair as he grabbed John's journal. "In Dad's journal...here, look at this." Dean opened to the first page "First page, first sentence, read that,"

"'I went to Missouri and I learned the truth'," Sam read

Dean shrugged "I always thought he meant the state,"

***

Missouri Moseley was escorting a man out of the house while Dean, Sam, and Natalia sat on the couch, waiting. "All right, there. Don't you worry 'bout a thing. Your wife is crazy about you,"

The man thanked Missouri and she closed the front door behind him.

"Whew. Poor bastard. His woman is cold-banging the gardener," Missouri explained to the boys

"Why didn't you tell him?" Dean asked

"People don't come here for the truth. They come for good news,"

Natalia stared up at the woman.

"Well? Sam and Dean, come on already and bring Natalia with you, she is adorable." Missouri left the room.

Dean and Sam exchanged a confused look, Sam picked up Natalia and they followed Missouri into the next room.

"Well, lemme look at ya," Missouri laughed "Oh, you boys grew up handsome." she pointed a finger at Dean "And you were one goofy-looking kid, too,"

Natalia giggled as Dean gave her a playful glare while Sam smirked.

"Sam." Missouri grabbed Sam's hand that wasn't holding Natalia "Oh, honey...I'm sorry about your girlfriend."

Natalia looked over at her father "Mama?"

"And your father...he's missin'?"

"How'd you know all that?" Sam asked

"Well, you were just thinkin' it just now,"

Sam raised his eyebrows, surprised.

"Well, where is he? Is he okay?" Dean questioned

"I don't know," Missouri admitted

"Don't know? Well, you're supposed to be a psychic, right?"

"Boy, you see me sawin' some bony tramp in half? Do you think I'm a magician? I may be able to read thoughts and sense energies in a room, but I can't just pull facts out of thin air. Sit, please,"

Sam smirked at Dean and they sat down. Sam began bouncing his leg up and down to keep Natalia entertained.

Missouri snapped at Dean "Boy, you put your foot on my coffee table, I'm 'a whack you with a spoon!"

"I didn't do anything," Dean argued

"But you were thinkin' about it,"

Dean raised his eyebrows as Natalia giggled and Sam smiled.

"Okay. So, our dad..when did you first meet him?" Sam asked

"He came for a reading. A few days after the fire. I just told him what was really out there in the dark. I guess you could say...I drew back the curtains for him," Missouri explained

"What about the fire? Do you know what killed our mom?" Dean questioned

"A little. Your daddy took me to your house. He was hopin' I could sense the echoes, the fingerprints of this thing,"

"And could you?" Sam asked

"I..." Missouri shook her head

"What was it?"

"I don't know. Oh, but it was evil," Missouri admitted softly "So...you think somethin' is back in that house?"

"Definitely,"

"I don't understand,"

"What?"

"I haven't been back inside, but I've been keepin' an eye on the place, and it's been quiet. No sudden deaths, no freak accidents. Why is it actin' up now?"

"Yellow..." Natalia whispered

"I don't know." Sam said "But Dad going missing and Jessica dying and now this house all happening at once...it just feels like something's starting,"

"That's a comforting thought," Dean muttered