Pilot [2]

The Impala tore down the road; the right headlight was out. 

Sam had John's journal open to Dean 35-111 and a map open on his lap and was finding coordinates with a ruler, a flashlight tucked between his chin and shoulder. "Okay, here's where Dad went." he said once he found the correct coordinates on the map "It's called Blackwater Ridge, Colorado,"

Dean nodded "Sounds charming. How far?"

"About six hundred miles,"

"Hey, if we shag ass we could make it by morning,"

Sam looked at him, hesitating "Dean, I, um..."

Dean glanced at the road and back "You're not going,"

"The interview's in like, ten hours...plus it's Natalia's birthday. I gotta be there,"

Dean nodded, disappointed, and returned his attention to the road "Yeah. Yeah, whatever." Dean glanced at Sam. "I'll take you home," Sam turned the flashlight off. 

They drove on.

***

They pulled up in front of Sam's apartment, Dean was still frowning. 

Sam got out and leaned over to look through the window. "Call me if you find him?" 

Dean nodded 

"And maybe I can meet up with you later, huh? I'm sure Natalia would like to get to know you," Sam noted

"Yeah, all right," Dean muttered. 

Sam pat the car door twice and turned away. 

Dean leaned towards the passenger door, one arm went over the back of the seat. "Sam?" 

Sam turned back 

"You know, we made a hell of a team back there," Dean said

"Yeah," Sam replied 

Dean drove off. 

Sam watched him go and sighed. He let himself in the apartment. Everything was dark and quiet. "Jess?" Sam whispered in case Natalia was already asleep. "You home?" He noticed a plate of chocolate chip cookies on the table, with a child's scribbled note, underneath the note was written in Jess's handwriting reading Missed you! Love you!  Sam picked one up and ate it as he snuck into Natalia's bedroom and kissed her forehead "Happy birthday Tali," he whispered. The shower was audibly running in his bedroom. Sam sat on the bed, shut his eyes and flopped onto his back.

***

Dean drove the Impala further into the night. He looked at his watch: it was not ticking. Realizing something was wrong, he reached for the steering wheel and the Impala made a U-turn.

***

Blood dripped onto Sam's forehead, one drop, then another; he flinched and opened his eyes. He gasped in horror.

Jess was pinned to the ceiling, staring down at him and bleeding from the belly.

"No!" Sam shouted as Jess burst into flames; the fire spread across the ceiling.

***

Dean kicked the front door open "Sam!" he shouted

"Mommy!" 

Dean reacted and headed towards the voice "Nat...Nat!" he opened the door but found it empty "Nat?" he heard a whimper and walked to the closet, opening the door revealing the scared child. Dean picked Natalia up and held her close, his mind flashing back to when he did the same to Sam "I've got you. I've got you," he reassured her.

***

"Jess!" Sam screamed as Dean came running into the bedroom.

"Sam! Sam!" Dean looked up and saw Jess.

"No! No!" Sam screamed

Dean grabbed Sam off the bed and bodily shoved him out of the door, Sam struggling all the way. 

"Jess! Jess! No!" Sam continued to scream. Flames engulfed the apartment by the time they got out of the apartment, that's when Sam panicked and he glanced at Dean wide-eyed "Tali..." Before Dean could reply, the duo heard a voice shriek 

"Daddy!" Natalia shrieked as she rushed to Sam and he picked her up.

Sam kissed her forehead as she cried "Daddy's got you, sweetheart. Daddy's got you,"

***

A fire truck was parked outside the building, firemen, and police keeping back gawkers.

Dean looked on, then turned and walked back to his car. 

Sam was standing behind the open trunk, loading a shotgun. 

Dean looked at the trunk, then at Sam, whose face was set in a mask of desperate anger. 

Sam looked up, then sighed, nodded, and tossed the shotgun into the trunk. "We got work to do," he shut the trunk.