Shadow [2]

Sam sat at a bar table and leafed through his father's journal.

Natalia sat on Sam's lap and was back to doodling.

Dean took a seat across from the duo and ruffled Natalia's hair, causing the toddler to pout.

"No touchie," Natalia whined.

"Did you get anything?" Sam asked "Besides her number,"

Dean laughed "Dude, I'm a professional. I'm offended that you would think that."

Sam looked up from John's journal with a knowing look.

"All right, yeah." Dean chuckled and held up a napkin with the bartender's phone number on it.

"You mind doin' a little bit of thinking with your upstairs brain, Dean?"

"Look, there's nothing to find out. I mean, Meredith worked here, she waited tables, everyone here was her friend. Everybody said she was normal. She didn't do or say anything weird before she died, so what about that symbol, you find anything?"

"Nope, nothing. It wasn't in Dad's journal or in any of the usual books. I just have to dig a little deeper, I guess,"

"Well, there was a first victim, right? Before Meredith?"

"Right. Yeah." Sam pulled out a newspaper clipping concerning the first death "His name was, uh-his name was Ben Swardstrom." He handed the clipping to Dean "Last month he was found mutilated in his townhouse. Same deal-the door was locked, the alarm was on,"

"Is there any connection between the two of them?"

"Not that I can tell-I mean, not yet, at least. Ben was a banker, Meredith was a waitress. They never met, never knew anyone in common-they were practically from different worlds,"

"So, to recap, the only successful intel we've scored so far is the bartender's phone number," Dean smirked.

Natalia whimpered as she looked out into the bar.

Sam noticed Natalia's distress and looked towards the other side of the room.

Dean looked around "What?"

Sam handed Natalia over to Dean and began to walk away.

"Sam?" Dean called out.

Sam continued to walk away. He reached another table, where a young woman with short blonde hair was seated with her back to him. Sam put his hand on her shoulder, and she turned around. "Meg,"

"Sam!" Meg greeted. "Is that you? Oh, my God!" She stood up and they hugged.

Sam looked slightly puzzled.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm just in town, visiting friends," Sam claimed.

Meg looked around the bar "Where are they?"

"Well, they're not here right now, but what about you, Meg? I thought you were goin' to California,"

Dean came up behind Sam, still holding Natalia.

The young blonde glaring daggers at Meg.

"Oh, I did. I came, I saw, I conquered. Oh, and I met what's-his-name, something Michael Murray at a bar,"

"Who?" Sam asked.

"Oh, it doesn't matter. Anyway, the whole scene got old, so I'm living here for a while,"

Dean cleared his throat loudly, but he was ignored.

"You're from Chicago?" Sam wondered.

"No, Massachusetts-Andover. Gosh, Sam, what are the odds we'd run into each other?"