Faith [2]

"This is John Winchester. I can't be reached. If this is an emergency, call my son, Dean. 866-907-3235. He can help,"

Sam sat on a hotel bed covered in pages of research about heart care, he was fighting tears as he watched his daughter sleep having used one of Dean's jackets as a blanket to calm her down about having to leave behind the eldest Winchester at the hospital. "Hey, Dad. It's Sam. Uh...you probably won't even get this, but, uh...it's Dean. He's sick, and uh...the doctors say there's nothing they can do. Um...but, uh, they don't know the things we know, right? So, don't worry, cause I'm uh...gonna do whatever it takes to get him better. Alright...just wanted you to know," He hung up, tossing his phone on the bed and just sat there silently as he brushed through Natalia's hair to calm him down. There was a knock on the door and he looked up quickly, tears in his eyes. Sam opened it to find Dean leaning against the jam, looking terrible. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I checked myself out," Dean replied simply

"What, are you crazy?"

Dean entered the room, leaning on everything within reach "Well, I'm not gonna die in a hospital where the nurses aren't even hot." he shrugged

Sam huffed a laugh and shut the door.

"You know, this whole I-laugh-in-the-face-of-death thing? It's crap. I can see right through it,"

"Yeah, whatever, dude. Have you even slept? You look worse than me," Dean glanced over the bed and smiled as he saw Natalia snuggled up in his jacket.

Sam helped Dean to a chair "I've been scouring the Internet for the last three days. Calling every contact in Dad's journal,"

"For what?"

"For a way to help you. One of Dad's friends, Joshua, he called me back. He told me about a guy in Nebraska. A specialist,"

"You're not gonna let me die in peace, are you?"

"I'm not gonna let you die, period. We're going,"

***

The Impala bumped along a rutted gravel road toward a large white circus tent set up in a field. People were making their way toward the tent across the very muddy ground, may on walking frames or helped by others.

Sam got out and put Natalia in her carrier so he could help Dean.

Dean opened his door and looked around. A sign next to the tent read The Church of Roy LeGrange. Faith Healer. Witness The Miracle. Grimacing, Dean started to pull himself out of the car.

Sam tried to help. "I got ya,"

"I got it," Dean said angrily as he pushed Sam away "Man, you are a lying bastard. Thought you said we were going to see a doctor,"

"I believe I said a specialist. Look, Dean, this guy's supposed to be a real deal,"

"I can't believe you brought me here to see some guy who heals people out of a tent,"

An elderly woman with an umbrella passed by "Reverend LeGrange is a great man,"

"Yeah, that's nice,"

They walked past an angry man remonstrating with a cop. "I have a right to protest. This man is a fraud. And he's milking all these people out of their hard-earned money,"

"Sir, this is a place of worship. Let's go. Move it." The Sheriff moved the man off the premises.

"I take it he's not part of the flock," Dean said

"But when people see they can't explain, there's controversy," Sam explained

"I mean, come on, Sam, a faith healer?"