Faith [3]

"So, you really feel okay?" Sam asked as they waited in the Hospital for Dean's results

"I feel fine, Sam," Dean admitted, although unhappily

A Doctor entered reading paperwork "Well, according to all your tests there's nothing wrong with your heart, no sign there ever was. Not that a man your age should be having heart trouble, but, still it's strange it does happen,"

"What do you mean, strange?"

"Well, just yesterday, a young guy like you, twenty-seven, athletic. Out of nowhere, heart attack,"

"Thanks, Doc,"

"No problem," The Doctor left

"That's odd,"

"Maybe it's a coincidence. People's hearts give out all the time, man,"

Natalia gave her dad a mean pouty face.

"No, they don't." Dean nodded to Natalia "and I think Nat agrees with me,"

Sam looked down at his daughter and noticed her look and sighed "Look, Dean, do we really have to look this one in the mouth? Why can't we just be thankful that the guy saved your life and move on?"

"Because I can't shake this feeling, that's why,"

"What feeling?"

"When I was healed, I just...I felt wrong. I felt cold,"

"Scary ghost," Natalia whispered

Sam shook his head and sighed, he still didn't understand how his daughter knew these things. But after what happened at his childhood home, he didn't question it or brush it off as an imaginary friend. "Yeah, alright. So, what do you wanna do?"

"I want you to go check out the heart attack guy. I'm gonna visit the reverend,"

***

Roy and Dean sat on couches, Natalia was sitting on Dean's lap.

Sue Ann stood, filling a glass.

"I feel great." Dean said "Just trying to, you know, make sense of what happened,"

"A miracle is what happened." Sue Ann claimed as she handed Natalia a sippy cup of milk. "Well, miracles come so often around Roy,"

"When did they start? The miracles,"

"Woke up one morning, stone blind. Doctors figured out I had cancer. Told me I had maybe a month. So, uh, we prayed for a miracle. I was weak, but I told Sue Ann, 'You just keep right on praying' I went into a coma. Doctors said I wouldn't wake up, but I did. And the cancer was gone," Ray took off his sunglasses, his eyes were white "If it wasn't for these eyes, no one would believe I'd ever had it,"

"And suddenly you could heal people,"

"I discovered it afterward, yes. God's blessed me in many ways,"

"And his flock just swelled overnight." Sue Ann praised "And this is just the beginning,"

"Can I ask you one last question?" Dean questioned

"Of course you can," Roy said

"Why? Why me? Out of all the sick people, why save me?"

"Well, as I said before, the Lord guides me. I looked into your heart, and you just stood out from all the rest,"

"What did you see in my heart?"

"Mikey," Natalia mumbled

"A young man with an important purpose. A job to do. And it isn't finished," Roy said

Dean looked slightly surprised by Roy's response.

***

"I'm telling you," An employee explained to Sam "he seemed healthy. Swam every day, didn't smoke. So, a heart attack just kind of seemed, well, bizarre,"

"And you said he was running, right before he collapsed?" Sam asked

"Yeah, yeah, he was freaking out. He said that something was, uh, was after him,"

"Did he say what?"

"Well, thin air is what. I mean, it wasn't anything,"

"Alright, thanks," as Sam was leaving he noticed the clock on the wall wasn't working "Hey, buddy? Your, uh, your clock's busted,"

"Oh, yeah, we, uh, can't get it-working'. Just froze at 4:17,"

"Is that the same time Marshall died?"

"How'd you know?" The man asked in surprise

***

Dean carried Natalia as they left Roy Legrange's place.

Layla and her mother were waiting on the porch to go in.

"Dean, Hey," Layla greeted

"Hey," Dean greeted

"How you feeling?"

"I feel good. Cured, I guess. What are you doing here?"

"You know, my mom, she wanted to talk to the reverend,"

Sue Ann came onto the porch "Layla,"

"Yes, I'm here again," Layla spoke softly

"Well, I'm sorry, but Roy is resting. He won't be seeing anyone else right now,"

"Sue Ann, please." Mrs. Rourke pleaded "This is our sixth time, he's got to see us,"

"Roy is well aware of Layla's situation. And he very much wants to help as soon as the Lord allows. Have faith, Mrs. Rourke," Sue Ann went inside.

Mrs. Rourke stared than turned, looking at Dean "Why are you still here?" she asked frustrated "You got what you wanted,"

"Mom. Stop," Layla said

"No. Layla, this is too much. We've been too much. We've been to every single service. If Roy would stop choosing these strangers over you. Strangers who don't even believe. I just can't pray any harder,"

"What wrong?" Talia asked as she tilted her head in curiosity

"Tali..." Dean chastised, even though he also couldn't help but hold the same curiosity as the young girl.

"I have this thing..." Layla claimed hesitantly, trying to find the words to explain to such a young girl.

"It's a brain tumor." Mrs. Rourke replied bluntly "It's inoperable. In six months, the doctors say..."

Layla put a hand on her mother's shoulder, stopping her.

"I'm sorry," Dean said

"It's okay," Layla said

"No. It isn't," Mrs. Rourke said as she stared into her daughter's eyes before turning back to Dean "Why do you deserve to live more than my daughter?" she walked away.

Layla took a deep shaky breath and followed Mrs. Rourke down the stairs.

Dean watched them go then turned to look back at Roy and Sue Ann's house.