FOUR

Adeline felt relieved when the secret goodbye she shared with her father a day ago was for nothing, she was able to return home to him. But now, she was sitting in a car beside Klaus, the most dangerous vampire in the world headed to her house so he could compel her father. She didn't want him to worry about her while she was gone, she wanted him to believe she was okay but she couldn't actually tell him what was happening.

"That's my house— there." She pointed out.

Klaus turned the car into the driveway and parked.

"I'll do it." Stefan offered from the backseat.

"No— I'll go" Klaus insisted. Adeline swallowed so hard she swore that he could hear it. "Don't worry love, I won't hurt her father. You have my word."

"Forgive me if your word means less than nothing to me." She scoffed.

Adeline turned away from the Hybrid and sucked in a deep breath. She was ready to step out of the car and face her father, to say goodbye— at least for now.

Before she had the chance to open the door, Klaus had dashed around to her side of the car and opened it for her. He gestured for her to step out, greeting her with a smirk. Adeline responded with an eye roll which made Klaus laugh under his breath.

He knew Addy was different, she had fire and that was something he found entertaining.

"Klaus—" Adeline turned to him, just outside the front door. "I may not be able to kill you, but if you hurt my father, I will make it my life's mission to make you miserable."

Klaus stepped towards her, until there faces were inches apart. She could feel his icy breath brushing against her skin.

"I don't take kindly to threats love." He whispered. "It would do you well to remember that."

Klaus gave Adeline a gentle push, signaling for her to open the door. Her hand was shaking when she wrapped it around the doorknob.

"Addy? Is that you?" Her father asked, rounding the corner from the living room to join them in the foyer. "Oh— who's this?"

"Dad, this is Klaus." She muttered.

"Pleasure sir." Klaus smiled, his typical smug grin.

Adelines dad faked a smile but it was obvious to both of them that her father was not particularly enthusiastic about his daughter bringing home a guy that looked like he was at least three or four years older than her. It was more like a thousand years older little did he know but Klaus's physical body was twenty one.

"Adeline, be a dear and go get your bags while I compel your father here before he tries to sit you down and have the talk." Klaus scoffed.

"Bags? What? Addy where are you going?"

Her heart was shattering in her chest but she knew there was nothing she could say. She just had to let Klaus compel him, that was the only way. She had to remind herself over and over she was saving a life, saving Damon's life by leaving. Her father would be safe, and Klaus would be out of Mystic Falls.

Klaus stepped forward and locked eyes with her dad. "Adeline is leaving for a school trip. She is going to be visiting another country— she will be a foreign exchange student. You are not to worry about her, she will be fine."

A tear lines down Adelines cheek as Klaus spoke. She watched her dad repeat every statement like a mindless drone. Her father was everything to her, he was all she had left and compelling him felt like a betrayal to her.

Klaus glanced over at Adeline who was standing idly by, watching her father. He saw the tears forming and for the first time in what seemed like ages, he felt a ping of guilt. Not enough guilt to change his mind and let her stay, he was to selfish for that. He wanted her along for the ride, he wasn't sure why yet, he just knew he did. But he did feel enough guilt to tell her father what he knew she wanted him to hear.