FIVE

Stefan crept into Adelines room the following morning and sat on the edge of the large bed. She was sprawled out in the middle, cuddled under the comforter that was draped on top of her small body.

He gave her a gentle shake, trying to wake her without scaring her. He figured she was probably on edge sleeping under the same roof as a notorious murder vampire.

"Addy—" he whispered. "Wake up."

She groaned and rolled over to face him. Her eyes fluttered open slowly and the golden light from the morning sun burned her pupils.

"What is it?" She huffed.

"You have to wake up now." He answered. "Klaus wants us to leave soon and start hunting for that pack."

"Oh how fun." She groaned, covering her face underneath the comforter.

"Come on— it'll be okay." He insisted, even though he wasn't sure if he believed that himself. He was barley hanging on to his sanity, he was back on human blood, and his control was slipping away from him with each day that passed. Even sitting here with Adeline, breathing in the sweet scent of her blood made his mouth water. But he knew he would never hurt his friend, he couldn't. As long as he had his humanity, he wouldn't.

Klaus walked passed Adelines bedroom door and was interested to see it was slightly opened. He walked towards it and looked inside to see Stefan sitting on her bed. He clenched his fists at his sides and his veins momentarily protruded from beneath his eyes. He didn't want this, he didn't want to feel any type of way towards the girl. So, he wouldn't allow himself to, he needed to remain cold. Being cold is what has kept him the most feared vampire who has ever 'lived'. Being cold is what made him into a legend some believed to be so far fetched and unrealistic because no one could be that horrible, but he was real and he was that horrible.

"What are you two up too this morning?" He queried, condescension was thick in his tone.

Stefan looked up and saw Klaus leaning against the doorframe, staring at them with watchful eyes.

"I was just waking Adeline up so we could go find your pack of wolves." Stefan answered.

"Then instead of laying around you should get up, and get moving." He ordered. "Don't make me lose my patience already."

Both Stefan and Adeline rolled their eyes at the vampire.
******

They went from house to house, going off leads and information from different people trying to find one guy. The leader of a large pack of wolves that was known to be from around here. It was starting to get dark when they pulled up to an old farmhouse outside of town, they had heard from the local sheriff Klaus compelled that it was Rays residence, just the man they were looking for.

They all stepped out of the car and headed for the front door. Stefan turned to face Adeline and suggested that she wait outside instead of going in with them, he was trying to protect her because he knew it would not be a good sight.

"Nonsense." Klaus interrupted. "The girl comes with us."

He gave Stefan a big push and Adeline followed closely behind. Klaus scoffed under his breath at him, it was typical Stefan to always try and protect the girl. First Elena and now Adeline.

Klaus could hear Adelines heart beating violently inside her chest, he could hear every hard swallow as she tried to choke down her fear. He wanted her to come inside, if only to see Stefan for what he truly was...a ripper.

Adeline stood in the corner and watched as Stefan and Klaus threatened the girls of the house to tell them where Ray was. When they finally gave up his location she was relieved, she thought now they don't have to hurt them anymore but she was wrong.