NINETEEN

It was dark in Adeline's house when she stepped inside. She shut the door and pressed her back up against it, taking a deep breath. She was trying to understand what had happened – how could Stefan just kiss her like that?

The light flicked on and Klaus was standing in front of her—staring. "Did you have a good night?"

Adeline jumped slightly—Klaus had caught her off guard. She didn't expect to see him here.

"I said—did you have a good night?" he repeated.

"It was fine." She answered.

Klaus stared at her—like he was waiting for her to come clean but he grew impatient and started the conversation on his own.

"Stefan has now ensured his death." Klaus glowered. "I heard him kiss you—I heard all of it."

"Klaus—"she started.

"Don't." he snapped. "Don't ask me to spare his life—don't ask me to calm down or just don't."

Adeline could tell he was serious; he was hurt and that wasn't her intention. She never saw the kiss coming and if she had, she would have stopped it. She now had two people to feel bad for—Stefan, because she knew it hurt him when he realized she didn't to kiss him back. Then there was Klaus—who she knew it hurt to stand inside and listen to that.

"Okay—I won't." she said, she knew her best shot at getting him not to kill Stefan was to just talk to him, without asking him not to kill him.

"Do you have feelings for him?" Klaus questioned.

Adeline laughed under her breath—she couldn't believe he was asking her this. She had given everything to Klaus—everything. She put her friendships on the line because of the way she felt for him.

"Answer me!" He bellowed.

"I love Stefan—I do Klaus. But I love him as a friend." She answered honestly. "Nothing more."

The hybrid stared her down, like he was examining her face to make sure she was telling the truth and she was. He knew that had she said yes to that question, he would be halfway across Mystic Falls about to kill Stefan by now.

"Okay." That was all he said.

"I'm not sure why it matters to you though—given how I'm such a burden." She huffed. The hybrid stepped forward, closing the gap between them.

"You are no burden to me Adeline." He whispered, reaching up to cradle her cheek in his hand. She leaned into his touch—and a smile grew across his face. This was what it was like when you have met your soulmate, it didn't matter what they said or did, they always found their way back.

"You hurt me." She breathed.

"That was never my intention." He admitted, pulling her face up so she would look him in the eyes. "I care for you—deeply Adeline."

She didn't know why those words stung—she wanted him to care because she cared for him so much but part of her thought there was more, that maybe he loved her because she knew she was falling in love with him. Despite her instincts screaming at her not to sometimes, she couldn't help but fall in love with Klaus.

He leaned in and pressed his soft lips to hers, savoring her taste. She moaned against his mouth—it felt like it had been forever since he last kissed her. The kiss grew more passionate and demanding, Klaus picked her up off the floor, never breaking the kiss and began to carry her upstairs.

He flung her bedroom door open and tossed her on the bed with a smirk sprawling across his face. He wanted her—he needed her like he had never needed anyone before. He climbed on the bed with her—they were kissing, sucking and tearing off each other's clothes. Klaus was sucking on her neck when his emotions got the better of him and he bite into her neck out of lust—to his surprise she didn't move or flinch, she let out a moan.