TWENTY SEVEN

It was dark outside now and the streets of New Orleans were bustling with people. Rebekah helped Adeline with her hair and makeup for the party. It was time for Adeline to get herself into the dress she chose. Klaus was standing in the doorway, watching as she secured the straps of the dress over her shoulder. It was a long, simple but elegant white gown. The hybrids eyes were locked on the girl, he wasn't moving or blinking.

"What is it?" Adeline laughed, catching him staring. He didn't saw anything, he just stood there with his lips slightly parted and his eyes trailing. "Is the dress not a good choice?" She was starting to feel self conscious now.

"No— the dress is perfect." He assured her, "absolutely perfect." He mumbled under his breath. Klaus had never seen Adeline look so beautiful actually— it was something about the glow on her skin, the way her hair was falling perfectly in big curls, and it was the dress— the white dress. Adeline in a dress like that was something he could stare at forever, it was stirred something inside him.

"Do you mind?" She questioned, gesturing to the zipper that was still hanging down her back. He moved over to her, not taking his eyes of her. He slid his finger slowly down the soft skin on her back until he reached the zipper and took his time tugging it closed.

"Why do you keep looking at me like that?" She questioned.

"Like what?"

"I don't know like you are right now." She chuckled, reaching up to adjust his tie.

"I'm just looking." He smiled. That was not true, it wasn't just a look. It was thee look. In the few moments he had been staring at her he saw everything— he saw the life he always wanted, he saw loyalty, he saw love, her saw her—forever.

"Well, I just have to strap my shoes on if you want to wait." She offered.

"I better go see if Elijah is ready— I'll meet you downstairs." He smiled, kissing her on the forehead before leaving the room.

****

Klaus walked into Elijahs room, shutting the door behind him and collapsing his back against the door. His brother turned around and looked at him with concern and confusion.

"Niklaus— what is it?"

Klaus looked up at his brother "Elijah, I need your help with something."

"What did you do?"

"Nothing! I didn't do anything." Klaus swore.

"Okay— then what is it?"

****

The two brothers were waiting downstairs for the girls to join them so they could head to the party. Rebekah came down first, wearing a beautiful dark blue gown that made her blonde hair pop. She smiled at her brothers and they too smiled at her, no matter how much the siblings fought, they loved one another. Now they were just waiting on Adeline. It took her a moment to decide between three pairs of shoes, but she eventually decided on the silver open toe high heels. She topped off her lipstick with a layer of gloss, and headed for the stairs.

Rebekah turned and saw Adeline coming down first, her jaw dropped and she found herself feeling jealous of her.

"Wow." She mumbled under her breath. This caught the attention of Klaus and Elijah who turned to face the girl, watching her descend the stairs with grace.

Elijah to found himself feeling jealous, but not of Adeline, of Klaus. Adeline was classy, smart, beautiful and loyal. She was everything Elijah had sought after for years, but she was his brothers girl, his brothers baby's mother and his only source of happiness he would never destroy that.