TWENTY FIVE

Adeline's hand trailed down to her stomach and her eyes followed. It couldn't be true—it wasn't possible. Vampires could not procreate—she was dead. She tried to steady her breathing but the words that rolled out of Sophies mouth knocked the breath out of her.

"Impossible." The eldest which, Agnes shook her head.

"It's true though." She insisted. "I felt it. Klaus is a Hybrid his very existence was supposed to be impossible—but its not."

"Vampires cannot procreate." Adeline protested.

"But werewolves can which is what Klaus was born as and it allowed him to procreate—one of natures loopholes." She scoffed.

"But I'm a vampire—I'm dead." Adeline shook her head.

"That is true, but your body is not. Blood still flows within your veins, your heart still beats, magic keeps those things happening—and magic got you pregnant."

Agnes was still skeptical and if Adeline was being honest so was she. The eldest witch gestured to Sophie, asking if she could examine the girl herself—Sophie nodded and stepped aside. She reached her hand out and laid it gently on Adeline's stomach—witches didn't need magic to confirm pregnancies, they could feel it.

Agnes jolted her hand away quickly and looked up at Adeline.

"It's true..." She gasped. "The girl is pregnant, and I can feel the magic coming from that baby."

The coven of witches exchanged shocked and weary expressions. This pregnancy defied everything they knew to be true about immortals and procreation. This was new to everyone, but nature was funny that way, it liked to surprise.

"Now that you know it's true—I should probably tell you Elijah Mikaelson is on his way here." She admitted.

"You invited an original vampire here? On our sacred grounds?" Agnes fussed.

"Yes—I had no choice. I couldn't ask Klaus here, not yet He is too unpredictable, and I have been told Elijah is trustworthy." Sophie explained.

"You can't trust any of them!" she shouted.

Before Sophie could defend herself there was a voice calling from outside the little tomb, they all stood in.

"Hello?" Elijah yelled. "I don't appreciate being summoned."

Sophie walked outside the tomb and greeted Elijah who was stuck on the other side of the fence at the ancestor burial grounds. 

"Why can't I step passed this gate?" he inquired. "And what is it you saw important enough to call me here?"

"It's sacred grounds for the witches here, you have to be invited in." She informed. Elijah nodded, taking note of what she said. "With that being said, come in."

The original took a step forward, following the young witch.

"What is it I can do for you exactly?" he huffed.

"I'll show you." She answered, leading the original back to the tomb where the witches were waiting, with Adeline still shackled to the stone. He walked inside and saw the witches all staring at him, then his attention turned to Adeline. When he realized she was being held prisoner, he grew angry.

"You fools." He spat. "How dare you capture her and use her as leverage. I will kill you all—and my brother he will assist. You are playing with fire."

"You will do nothing because I have uncovered something, I think might interest you and make you change your mind."

"What could you possibly have that is of interest to me and what does it have to do with Adeline here?" Elijah questioned.