TWENTY TWO

The sunlight peeked through the blinds in Adelines room and she rolled over, shoving a pillow over her head trying to ignore that another day had come and it was probably going to be just as painful and agonizing as the last. Talking to Stefan made her feel a little better, but it didn't ease the pain she felt.

The fact that her dad was gone was sinking in more now— since she was spending so much time locked in her house and alone. It was hard not to see his smiling face when she walked down the stairs or smell him cooking breakfast all the way from her room. She missed him, she missed her mom... she missed Klaus.

Adeline grabbed a blood bag out of her fridge and bit into it. For a new vampire she had learned control pretty well— I guess she had Klaus and Elijah to thank for that. They had taught her a few tricks to control the hunger they learned over the year— at least she wasn't a ripper like Stefan. The thirst was bad enough as a regular vampire, she couldn't imagine how it was for him.

She heard a knock on the door, followed by it opening. Someone had let themselves in.

"Addy!" Elena called out.

"In here Elena!" Adeline answered, standing in the kitchen.

When Elena came into the kitchen she wasn't alone— Bonnie, Caroline, Stefan and Damon were all there too.

"What is this? An intervention because I promise I'm not an addict." She joked, tossing the empty blood bag into the trash.

"It's sort of an intervention." Caroline laughed. But Adeline didn't, she had no idea what was going on.

"Stefan told us about Klaus leaving town and that you stayed behind for us." Elena started.

"Elena please— it's okay." She breathed.

"No Addy. I may not understand you and Klaus but I do understand what it's like to fall in love with someone even when you shouldn't or you just can't help it." Elena choked up and everyone in the room knew she was talking about loving Damon.

"We can't let you sacrifice your happiness for us." Bonnie cried. "You deserve to be happy— even if that means being with Klaus."

Adeline was crying once again— it felt like that was all she did lately.

"Besides, we're all vampires except Bonnie of course." Caroline teased. "We literally have forever to see each other."

"So go— go to New Orleans. Send us postcards and pictures but just go." Elena smiled through her tears. "Be happy and live a little... for your mom."

"Okay." Adeline choked. That was all she could manage to get out. She was overwhelmed with emotions, she was happy her friends understood it made her feel better about leaving but she would miss them. The group gather together and squeezed into a group hug.

Adeline hurried upstairs and grab the bag she never bothered to unpack from a week ago. If she left now, she could be in New Orleans and back with Klaus by tonight. She threw her back in the trunk of her car and shut it. She turned to wave goodbye to her friends one last time and locked eyes with Stefan.

"Thank you." She mouthed and he nodded at her with a smile.

Her heart skipped a beat when she passed the sign:

"END OF MYSTIC FALLS CITY LIMIT"

Goodbye Mystic Falls, Hello New Orleans.

****

Adeline knew where to find Klaus because he had told her about there house in New Orleans before. They got the place over 300 years ago when they first came to the French quarter, of course it has been updated since. She pulled down the road and stared at the place Klaus called "the compound" I guess he had a different name for all their houses. She was finally here, New Orleans. It was dark now so she didn't get to see and admire much of the city but all she cared about was getting to him.