2. Jetlag

Chapter 2: Jetlag

7:15 am

 "Kendall, you have to get up, we leave in half an hour" someone said, shaking me gently. I opened my eyes and saw Troy.

"No" I mumbled, he just chuckled.

"I'll make you a cup of tea, go and have a shower" he said and left.

I lazily pushed the covers off me and got up. I was awake most of the night with jetlag because it would have been the afternoon in the UK. It would be the late evening over there now so that was why I was so tired. I stood up and took my board shorts, bikini top and t-shirt to the bathroom and locked the door. I turned the shower on and stepped in. I washed mu hair and turned the shower off when I was done. I put my lifeguard uniform on and tied my hair up into a high ponytail so it was out of the way for work. I left the bathroom and went back into the bedroom. I grabbed my phone and went downstairs. I went into the kitchen and Jesse was stood there, leaning against the kitchen counter.

"Morning" He smiled, passing me a mug of tea.

"Morning, thanks" I smiled weakly and sat on the chair.

"Jetlagged?" He asked. I nodded and he just laughed. I drank my tea and when the others were ready we left the house and walked down to the beach to start a day at work. I went up into the tower and the others followed me.

"Troy is down at bagpackers and I am at south corner today. You're in the tower with Maxi and Tom. Have fun!" Jesse said.

"Okay" I replied and sat down in one of the wheelie chairs as they left.

"Yo yo yo" Maxi cheered as he entered the tower.

"Hey"  I yawned.

"Jetlagged I see" He smirked and I nodded. He opened the mini fridge and grabbed a can, passing it to me. "It is redbull. It will wake you up" He said.

"Thanks" I replied and opened it.

"The one and only Tom has arrived!"

"Cocky much?" Maxi asked him and I laughed.

"Mate, radio whoever is up north, there's someone struggling out there" Tom said to him.

Maxi grabbed the radio. "uh Whippet, someone in front of you is waving" Maxi said.

"On it" Whippet replied.

"Tell us some things about you" Tom asked me.

"I speak Polish and French" I said.

"I'm sure that'll come in handy soon" Maxi smiled. "Another thing"

"I have Asthma" I replied.

"Is it bad?" Tom asked.

"Not really, if I have the inhaler each morning and evening I'm normally fine" I said. They nodded.

"Yatesy to tower"

"Go ahead Yatesy" Tom said, picking up the radio from the desk.

"Can you bring a bottle of water down please?" he asked.

"Yeah, you're down by the flags right?" Tom asked.

"Sure am" He replied.

"I'll do it" I smiled. Tom nodded and I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and left the tower. I walked down the beach over to the quad bike where Yatesy and Harrison were.

"Bottle of water at your service" I said in an over dramatic voice.

"Thanks peasant" Yatesy laughed.

"Mate, there's a massive crowd" Harrison said, pointing to where a large crowd of people were forming.

"We can't just leave here. Anything could happen in the water" Yatesy replied.

"I'll stay here for you if you like" I said.

"Cheers Kendall" Yatesy smiled and him and Harrison ran off towards the crowd. I sat on the quad and looked out to the water.

"Maxi to Kendall, what's going on?" Maxi asked over the radio.

"Uh Yatesy and Harrison had to go check out a crowd so I said I'd be more than happy to watch here while they do so" I explained.

"Coolio" He replied.

I looked out to the water and saw a very young child struggling quite far out. I got up and took my t-shirt off. I grabbed a board and ran into the water. I jumped on the board and paddled as fast as I could, trying to break through the waves as quickly as possible. When I got to the child I grabbed their arm and pulled them onto the board. I soon realised it was a young girl who didn't look much older than three. I sat there and let her cough and cath her breath for a second before bringing her back to shore.

The mother was stood there and ran over, grabbing her as soon as she was on her feet.

"thank you" She said, nodding at me.

"No worries" I replied and sat back on the quad.

"Nice rescue there Ken" Tom said.

"Thanks" I replied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At lunch there were a lot of us there eating. I finished my lunch and grabbed a bottle of water.

"I dont want to be on tower this afternoon, I wanna do rescues" I sighed.

"You can switch with me" Kerrbox said.

"Where are you at?"

"South with Brad" Kerrbox replied.

"Awesome, would love that" I smiled.

When lunch was over I stood up and brushed myself off.

"Come on Brad!" I smiled, he laughed and I ran down to the Black Rhino getting into the drivers seat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm literally having dinner then going to bed" I said, yawning as we entered the house.

"You'll need energy for tomorrow" Jesse smiled.

"What have we got for dinner?" Troy asked.

"I put chicken pie in the fridge this morning" Jesse replied. Troy nodded and went into the kitchen to sort that out.

I went upstairs and had another shower to get all of the sand and salt water off me. Afterwards I put on a pair of lounge shorts an a tank top before going downstairs to the lovely smell of food.