43

Chapter 43. Mass Rescue

When I was ready for work, we left the house, all three of us and Riker. We drove down to the beach and parked the car before locking it. We walked down the beach before going up into the tower to check the rota. I was on tower for this morning and then down south for this afternoon. Maxi, Deano and Jake were all on tower with me.

"Hey Kendall" Maxi smiled and hugged me, he didn't see me yesterday.

"Hi" I smiled, hugging him back.

"How was London?" He asked.

"Good but cold" I chuckled.

"what did you do?" Deano asked.

"London eye, sight seeing, London dungeons, rollerblading, all sorts" I smiled.

"Sounds like fun" He replied and I nodded before sitting at one of the chairs and grabbing a pair of binoculars.

It was a fairly steady morning, a few injuries from flat rock, the boys on the beach did a fair few rescues, just your average day at Bondi. That was until a wave came around from Ben Buckler and just took out ten, twenty people, all into this rip.

"Yeah boys up north, head in now" I said down the radio. Jesse and Reidy jumped in rescuing them but more and more people got sucked out. Deano, Jake and Maxi all went down to help, Dunno joined in and so did Tom. Hoppo was literally the only lifeguard on the beach. They weren't really supposed to leave a trainee in the tower alone, but they needed all the intelligence they could get, I mean, more and more people were getting sucked out. There were six of the boys in the water, rescuing now what looked like fifty, maybe sixty people.

"Hop, you're literally the only lifeguard on the beach, everyone else is in the water" I said, through the radio.

"I know, I don't know what we could do" He replied. An idea then came to my head.

"Set the shark alarm off? Could I do that?" I asked.

"I mean, it'd clear the water, allowing the boys to do the rescue, this seriously is a mass rescue, similar to Black Sunday. Go ahead, I think the shark alarm is the best option" He replied.

"Copy that" I replied. I stood up and flipped the switch, letting the alarm sound for ten seconds before turning it off.

It was like mayhem, everyone scrambled from the water, you could see the relief in the boys faces, the water was becoming clearer, though the beach was packed.

"Good job Kendall, it definitely worked" Hoppo said.

"Thanks Hop" I replied, keeping an eye on the beach and the rescue.

Within twenty minutes the rescue was over, Deano, Maxi and Jake were back in the tower and the boys were all on their positions.

"Who ever decided to set the alarm off, it really helped" Maxi said, sitting down.

"It was my idea" I smiled.

"Smart one" Maxi nodded.

================================================================================================

"Uh Kendall, could you pop down to the office if you're not too busy" Hoppo said on the radio. I was still on tower for another half hour and it was fairly quiet. The boys nodded, I grabbed the radio.

"On my way" I replied.

"I wonder what it's about" Deano smirked. I shrugged and left the tower, Riker at my feet. We crossed the prom and went into the office, I took a seat.

"Now, to start with, you're not in any trouble" Hoppo said.

"Okay" I replied, now slightly confused.

"I've been skyping Christian recently" He said.

"As in my English boss Christian?" I asked

Hoppo nodded and turned his laptop round, he was currently on Skype to him now.

"Hi" I smiled.

"Hey Kendall" He replied.

"Now, we've been talking about your exchange session and all that" Hoppo said. "In the 5 months that you've been here you've been amazing. You're always up for work, when you're injured you're willing to help in the tower, you always want to come back to work, and not be off work if you can help it"

"I love it here" I smiled.

"Hoppo said, you've been enjoying it" Christian smiled. "That is why we've come to the decision that you can decide. What you decide will be permanent"  Christian said.

"you can carry on your year here and go home afterwards" Hoppo said. "Or Finish your year and apply to be a lifeguard here at Bondi"

I gasped in shock. "I don't know, I mean I don't want to leave but I like it here"

"Which will you decide?"