12.

Chapter 12: Bluebottles

I sat up straight as there was a loud noise in my room. Troy was stood there with an air horn. I groaned and layed back down.

"I hate you Troy" I called.

"Thanks" He laughed and left. I got up and put on my lifeguard work uniform before going downstairs. I went into the kitchen and made a coffee. 

"This hit, that ice cold Michelle Pfeiffer, that white gold This one for them hood girls Them good girls straight masterpieces" Jessd walked into the kitchen singing Uptown Funk.

"Really, you know all the lyrics and that song has been out like two days?" I asked him.

"Something like that" He chuckled and sat down, eating an apple.

"wow" I smiled.

When we were all ready we went down to the beach in Jesse's car with him driving. It was 8:30 am and we had to be there to start at 8:45. When we got there we got out of the car and went up to the tower.

"I'm on central with..... Maxi" I smiled, seeing where I was on the rota.

"Lets go!" I heard Maxi call and the next thing I knew I was being picked up and taken down the stairs to the Rhino. I just laughed and got down before sitting in the drivers seat. We then drove down to our position in central.

"How are you?" He asked.

"Fine" I replied.

"There are lots of bluebottles around today. That will be the main problem" He told me.

"Do they hurt?" I asked.

"Only if they sting you. We only spray water on it then give ice but it does stop the sting from getting to the glands. That's when it begins to get really painful" Maxi said.

"ew" I replied. He chuckled at my reaction.

"Time for a rescue" Maxi smiled and took his shirt off. He ran in to get a man who had just slipped off the sandbank.

"Excuse me" A woman said, coming up to me. I turned to her. "She got stung by a jellyfish" She said, gesturing to her daughter.

"I cant treat it here as I have to rescue people. Go up to the tower, they'll do it there" I said. She nodded and began to walk up the beach. I grabbed the radio.

"Itchy, there's one coming your way for bluebottle sting" I warned him.

"Alright, cheers Kendall" he replied.

"That went well" Maxi said, sitting back in the Rhino.

"I just had to send someone to the tower for bluebottle sting" I smiled.

"Don't you worry, there will be loads" Maxi chuckled.

"My turn" I smiled as I saw a child struggling out in the water.

I grabbed the board and went in. I paddled and as I was paddling a bluebottle wrapped itself around my leg. I swore and took it off before continuing to paddle. I got the little boy and lifted him onto the board. He looked like he had been stung across his back too. I paddled him back to shore and the mum was there. The boy was crying in pain. I didn't blame him though because the bluebottle stings really did hurt.

"Take him to the tower" I advised. She nodded and walked up the beach to him.

"Kills like a bitch" I said, putting my leg on the Rhino so Maxi could see the sting.

"oooh the bugga got you good" Maxi laughed.

"You don't mind while I run up and get ice. I'll be back in a second" I replied.

"No not at all" Maxi smiled. I nodded and jogged up the beach. I walked into the tower and went straight to the freezer. I put ice into a bag and tied it up.

"What you doing here?" Itchy asked.

"I got stung while rescuing" I smiled.

"Ouch, it got you good" He said looking at my leg.

"Yep, got to get back to Maxi, bye" I smiled and left the tower.

I guess today was going to be a day of mayhem.......