21

Chapter 21: The Hottest Day

It was the day after Dunstan's birthday party. It was a good night, he loved his cake, and everyone had a bit. It actually tasted very nice. Most of us had a little bit of alcohol because we were working today but those who had the day off like Maxi, they were absolutely smashed. It was funny watching Maxi completely drunk, though he probably wouldn't remember it at all today.

I walked into the tower, it was mid day and it was already 48 degrees. It was by far the hottest day of the year. I had just finished my shift at north Bondi in the bird cage with Terry. Terry then had to go and do backpackers while I was now on tower duty with Deano, Kerrbox and Whippet.

Deano and Kerrbox were down in the first aid area dealing with heat stroke and dehydration. Whippet and I had our eyes on the water through the binoculars.

"Corey, there is one who just slipped off the sand bank, just ahead of you" I said.

"Alright, I'm going to go in and get her" He said and I watched as he stripped and paddled out.

"The weather is definitely claiming its victims" Deano said.

"Well it will do if people aren't careful" I replied.

Whippet stood up and turned, but quickly grabbed onto the railing. Something wasn't right.

"Whippet, you alright mate?" I asked him.

"Why is everything spinning, I only got up to get a drink and it all begins to spin" He said, gripping the railing tighter.

"Just take deep breaths, it should stop in a second" I replied and grabbed my water bottle. I opened it and was about to pass it to him when he just fell. I left the bottle on the desk and quickly caught him so he didn't hurt himself. I slowly lowered him to the floor until he was lying down. I then grabbed the radio to radio Hoppo who was in his office.

"Hop, can you come on tower, Whippet has just collapsed, and Kerrbox and Deano can't do tower on their own" I said.

"Sure thing" He replied. I put the radio down and turned to Whippet.

"Whippet" I said, tapping his shoulder. "Can you hear me?" There was no response I quickly went down to the first aid area and grabbed two cold packs. I put one across his forehead and one behind his neck. Then I lifted his legs and rested his feet on a chair, hoping to get the blood flowing again. Deano passed me the oxygen mask, I thanked him before putting it round his face.

"Whippet..... Can you hear me?" I asked, still barely any response. The tower door opened and Hoppo walked in.

"Why do you think it happened?" Hoppo asked.

"He said he got up to get a drink and everything went dizzy. I went to pass him my bottle but he just collapsed. Probably heat exhaustion more than anything" I explained.

"Whippet?!" I said, as his head began to move slightly. He opened his eyes and blinked a couple of times, seeming dazed and confused.

"It's alright, you're safe." I reassured him. "Do you know where you are?" I asked.

"Tower" He replied.

"Good" I smiled. I slowly helped him sit up and we leant him against the wall. I took his oxygen mask off and passed him my bottle, making him take a few sips.

"You're pretty good at this first aid thing" Kerrbox smiled at me.

"Thanks" I replied.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had just finished putting a flag onto the Rhino after pack up, when I turned, only to be hugged by Whippet.

"Hi" I chuckled.

"Thanks" He said.

"For?" I questioned.

"Earlier, in the tower"

"Oh that was nothing. People forget that lifeguards are also human and can pass out too" I chuckled as he helped me put the next flag on.

"That's true. They think we're iron man" He replied .

"Something like that" I replied.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was laying in bed when my bedroom door opened. I opened my eyes slightly and saw Troy come in. I pretended to be asleep. He came over to the bed and slid me over a bit, getting in behind me. I smiled as he wrapped his arms around me. It wasn't long after that, that I drifted off to sleep.