☤ 11 | operation end table

EARLIER in the morning, everyone thought Percy and Annabeth were kidnapped - by Winston

EARLIER in the morning, everyone thought Percy and Annabeth were kidnapped - by Winston. They thought a dog kidnapped Percy and Annabeth. Not even Clovis would think that-- and he's asleep most of the time!

Winston jumped into her lap as Percy and Annabeth walked in through the door. What's the big deal? It's only two teens having fun. Well, when she thought of it that way, it's sounded wrong. Oh gods, Apollo's dirty minded thinking was starting to rub off on her.

"Never in my life!" Coach bellowed, a silence taking over the table. He waved his bat, knocking over a plate of apples. "Against the rules! Irresponsible!"

But these words were all too familiar. Just like the words Hermes had said to Luke and her when they were around the age of twelve or thirteen.

"Never in my life had I seen such irresponsibility!" Hermes stood with his staff in his hand, anger taking over his elfish face.

She watched Thalia and Annabeth be whisked into the kitchen by her mother, May. Hermes pointed a finger to the living room. "Sit."

Luke and Lilly looked at each other, making a silent agreement to resist. "No," they said in unison.

"Really? That's your answer?" When they didn't follow orders, Hermes grabbed they roughly by their collars, guiding them into the living room hastily. He nearly lifted them off their feet-- nearly chocking them. She didn't know if he meant to do it, or if he was just aggravated that he doesn't realize what he's doing. Against their will, they say but Luke shortly after rose to his feet.

"Take a seat," the god demanded, his tone stern and commanding.

"No," Luke said firmly. "You can't waltz yourself into our life and expect us to listen."

Hermes nostrils flared. "Excuse me, young man?"

"Do I have to put it in words your slow brain can process?" Luke sassed and looked at Hermes directly in the eyes. He emphasized every word. "You can't boss us around."

"Oh yes, I can indeed." Hermes narrowed his eyes the way Luke would sometimes. "I'm your father."

"We may be related by blood, but you're nothing to us," she supported her brother. "If you were our Dad, you would have helped us . . . I was nearly assaulted. Oh, and let me guess, you were too busy speaking to your pet snakes to notice?"

"Listen," Hermes said in a low whisper, but his tone was threatening. He bent down to their height, which wasn't much considering they were only twelve. She was slightly taller than Luke that's for sure. "Your fates have been sealed since the day you were both conceived. One of you will die before the other. What happens to the other? Let's just say you'll suffer for a brief period. If I were you, young man, I'd treat my father with some respect."