☤ 16 | insanity

IT was a few days after the ship was robbed by dwarves

Three days ago, Nico was turned into a corn plant and Frank received the blessing of Mars. Not that Frank was short or chubby, but he seriously gained a lot of muscle. Not only muscle, but he got taller. Also, Nico, Hazel, and Frank were chased in Italy by these strange animals that looked like hairy cows. Two days ago, a skilled gunman Sciron was killed by his own giant pet turtle and Hazel.

Yesterday, Lilly sat in mess hall eating lunch with Jason and the rest of her friends. Jason had a vision earlier when he was fighting a venti. He passed out for a moment, but Piper saved him with her charm speak.

"A note from Annabeth," Piper shook her head in amazement. "I don't see how that's possible, but if it is—"

"She's alive," Lilly said, feeling a sense of relief and joy wash over her.

Leo grinned. "Thank the gods and pass the hot sauce."

Frank frowned. "What does that mean?"

Leo wiped the crumbs off his face. "It means to pass the hot sauce, Zhang. I'm still hungry."

Frank slid over a jar of salsa. "I can't believe Reyna would try to find us. It's taboo, coming to the Ancient Lands. She'll be stripped of her praetorship."

"If she lives," Hazel said. "It was hard enough for us to make it this far with eight demigods and a warship."

"And me." Coach Hedge belched. "Don't forget, cupcake, you got the satyr advantage."

It didn't take long for the meeting to end. Once they landed in Dalmatia, Jason and Nico set out to find a ghost, while everyone else was in charge of defending and repairing the ship.

Today, she was on the deck with Piper. Cold rain drizzled around them and froze when it touched the railings and the ropes.

"It's the scepter," Nico murmured. "It has to be."

Lilly wasn't so sure. The scepter of Diocletian gave her a bad vibe: death. It wouldn't be the first time she's encountered death either.

"We can't talk up here," Jason decided. "Let's postpone the meeting."

Later, they'd gathered on the quarterdeck. It wasn't a good place for a meeting either. It was very windy, and the ship kept rocking back and forth.

Hazel kept holding her stomach. "Need to--" Hazel gagged and pointed below.

"Yeah, go." Nico kissed her cheek.