☤ 24 | o captain, my captain

PERCY was still distraught from the death of his best friend

         PERCY was still distraught from the death of his best friend. The Roman Eagles were close to saving Lilly, but they chose to save Jason and Piper instead. He was so close to being where she landed. What could he have done to save her? How could he have stopped her? Maybe get crushed under her in the process too?

Her death still hadn't settled in his mind (he was still partly in shock) despite having witnessed it. It had hit others pretty rough like the Stolls and Annabeth. Unlike the Stoll's, Annabeth had been by his side. He still felt that she was still there, that she'd wake up any second now.

Apollo came by yesterday quite happy to visit his sweetheart only to have his hopes crushed. Hermes happened to be there coincidentally.

Her body lay limp and pale on a cot next to the Big House where the rest of the dead were being held. When he arrived, there were others crying and sobbing around their dead loved ones too.

His heart ached, because not only did he understand, but mostly because the thought of losing one of his closest friends had never crossed his mind before. He knew it could've always happened, but he never thought it would've been her, Lillian Castellan. She was strong and independent and could fight anything and anyone. Yet, a simple fall was all that it took. A fall that no one could've survived, not even her. He was naive to think that it would never happen to any of his friends.

"Lilly," Apollo whispered and bent down next to her, brushing her blonde hair away from her face. His fingers traced the outline of her face and then softly, he caressed her cheek with his thumb.

 His fingers traced the outline of her face and then softly, he caressed her cheek with his thumb

Percy had to admit, he felt pretty bad for the poor guy. First, he's blamed for the war with an insane Earth Goddess and now he lost his lover.

Hermes placed a hand on his shoulder. "I warned you, Apollo," he said softly, gripping his staff where his pet snakes remained silent for once. "You should have listened."