☤ 18 | traitorous

WHEN Lilly returned to her quest, she was slightly out of breath and Reyna was still there

WHEN Lilly returned to her quest, she was slightly out of breath and Reyna was still there. Her uneven breathing only proved that her health was deteriorating.

They were in the middle of a large silence when she got back. She pieced together that they might be talking over something important.

Lilly sat down in the grass next to Reyna and Winston came running to her, overjoyed that she had returned. "What did I miss?"

Instead, no one answered. Percy caught her eye and mouthed later.

"Very well," Reyna finally said to the other demigods, as if she made an important decision. "I have no better option. But there will be many monster attacks. I would feel better taking a third person. That's the optimal number for a quest."

"Coach Hedge," Frank blurted.

Percy stared at him in confusion. "Uh, what, Frank?"

"Coach is the best choice," Frank said. "The only choice. He's a good fighter. He's a certified protector. He'll get the job done."

"A faun," Reyna said.

"Satyr!" barked Gleeson. "And, yeah, I'll go. Besides, when you get to Camp Half-Blood, you'll need somebody with connections and diplomatic skills to keep the Greeks from attacking you. Just let me go make a call-- er, I mean, get my baseball bat."

He got up and shot Frank a Look.

Nico rose. "I should go, too, and rest before the first passage. We'll meet at the statue at sunset."

Reyna nodded in agreement.

Lilly started worrying over her own pet's safety. It was risky bringing him with her, now she didn't want him here in fear that he might die and be sent to Tartarus. So, an hour later of preparation, she sent him back to the United States.

Before Winston left, she attached a letter to his back for her Uncle Mike. He was going to be living with them regardless if Michael liked it. Winston could be Jude's protector.

AT sunset, when Coach was leaving with Reyna and taking the Athena Parthenos, he pulled the daughter of Hermes aside.

"You need to watch over the others, cupcake!" he told her earlier. "You're in charge of them now. Don't let them die on your watch."

She didn't want that kind of responsibility, but she had to whether she liked it or not. She was the oldest with the most experience, it was expected of her.