☤ 23 | vengeance

WHEN Lilly arrived at Half-Blood Hill, there was already a battle raging on around her

From the moment she got there, she had one goal in her mind: find Octavian. She had to. She had to destroy him.

The cheering of Greeks and Romans at her arrival broke her from her thoughts.

Reyna came forth and greeted her. "About time!" she said and tossed her protective headgear aside. "Where are the others?"

"Greece," she shortly answered, avoiding other questions and pulled out her own sword and dagger-- one in each hand.

Her brothers and (a few) sisters from the Hermes cabin surrounded her. Connor and Travis stood directly in front of her covered in soot, stabbing an ogre before saluting her. They led a group of her siblings. "The Hermes squad is at your service!" They said in unison. "Your orders, Captain?"

Captain. For a split second, the worded triggered her brain to imagine Percy where Connor stood, but she blinked and Connor's face reappeared.

Her anxious thoughts and doubts she had earlier of no one wanting her at camp dissipated the longer she stood.

They still looked up to her.

"Well?" Travis said as they waited for an order.

She scanned the area and saw that the monsters were steadily closing in. "Go plant land mines on the other side of the hill," she said, a small smile gracing her lips. "Launch a few grenades at the enemy lines while you're at it." Within seconds, her siblings each scattered in separate directions.

Suddenly, the Greeks and Romans were cheering again once she turned to see that Jason and Piper had arrived as well as the others.

How? She didn't know. It took them several months for them to reach Greece. How could they possibly return so quickly?

She caught something out of the corner of her eye: a massive ripple went across the land and caused the dirt beneath everyone's feet to turn as soft as a marshmallow.

Demigods around fell. Others slipped. Centaurs charging face-planted.

AWAKE, a voice boomed around them.

The dirt and grass swirled up into the air. A column of dirt thickened into a twenty-foot-tall figure of a woman-- her dress woven from blades of grass, her skin as white as quartz, and her brown hair tangled like the roots of a tree.