☤ 19 | engima

LILLY was on guard duty with Percy, while Leo was playing around his Archimedes sphere

Percy was anxious. He kept pacing back and forth, muttering to himself. It got to the point where it was annoying her.

Normally, she would've cracked a joke to ease his nerves, mentioning that talking to yourself is one of the signs of becoming mad, but it would've made him upset due to recent events.

He was worried about Annabeth being attacked by the suitors Jason, Piper, and Annabeth were going to talk to. The island they were anchored at is Ithaca. It's a beautiful mass of land, with mountainous terrain and a lively sea. The island was once home to Odysseus and his wife, Penelope.

"Relax," she said and he stopped mid-step. "Annabeth's with Jason and Piper. She'll be fine."

Percy rolled his eyes and returned to pacing. "Easy for you to say," he muttered snappily under his breath.

"Just . . . chill, Perce, she's my friend too."

Percy frowned, taking his pen out of his pocket and staring at it. "I know, but . . . "

She understood. After all, they've been through in Tartarus, she knew how reluctant he was to have Annabeth leave his side. Everything down there must've been awful, considering how much it had changed her two friends.

"I get it," she told him quietly, silently understanding he didn't want to talk about it.

Lilly took a seat on top of a brown crate, closing her eyes briefly, desperately wanting to take a nap. In the last seventy-two hours, she probably slept for only twelve hours throughout the whole three days. She hadn't slept since yesterday afternoon; the lack of sleep was finally affecting her way of functioning.

She took the night shift last night to allow the younger demigods to fully recover. At one point around three in the morning, Jason Grace came up from below and insisted that she give up her shift so she could catch a couple of hours of sleep. She stupidly declined and told him to return to his bed.

No one came up after that.

Percy took a seat beside her. "It's a nice view, isn't it?" he said, gazing at the waters. He was expecting her to agree with him, but silence only met his ears. Percy frowned. "Are . . . you alright?"

"Yeah," she nodded, finding it slightly odd that he would ask. After all, it should be her asking him that due to his small trip below, not him asking her. "I'm fine, just a little tired, that's all."