At Last

Y/N POV

I watched Shannon and Gene wrap each other in a tight embrace, practically eating each other's faces off, and turned to Eric, giving him a smile. He walked toward me and my heart began to race. For a moment it looked like he was really going to kiss me, but instead he gave me a hesitant hug, as if he was still afraid to touch me.

"Hey Y/N, it's really good to see you again!" he said.

"It's good to see you too! How was your flight?" I asked, wishing the hug hadn't ended so quickly.

"Oh it wasn't bad, I talked to Gene for most of it. He's still afraid of flying so he likes to be distracted," he said with a shrug.

"That's sweet of you," I said, and he smiled.

"Um I got bored and drew this and I dunno I figured maybe you'd want it," he mumbled, pressing a cocktail napkin into my hand.

I looked at the drawing with a smile.

"That was so sweet of you!" I said, and he smiled back.

"Yeah well um y-you know...oh fuck this, I can't do this anymore," he said, face going beet red as he grabbed the sides of my face and pulled me into a kiss before I could ask what on earth he was talking about.

My eyes widened and I stood frozen before just melting into the embrace, kissing him back. My hands twisted through his thick hair, getting tangled in his curls, while his arms wrapped around me, holding me close against his body. It was as if his lips were made for mine, fitting perfectly against me.

At last, we broke apart, his face somehow even redder, as we both stared at each other without actually looking each other in the eye. I could hear him take a deep breath as he reached out, putting a hand on my cheek, turning my face toward his.

"I love you. I really love you, as more than a friend, and-and Gene was saying—and I think you feel the same, so if you wanted maybe we could date?" he asked, growing flustered.

My heart was racing as I looked at him, mind going blank once again. He gave me a nervous smile, fear welling up in his eyes. 

"Um-um did...did you want to? Y-you can say no if you don't want—"

"Of course she wants to!" Shannon said, elbowing me sharply, and I jumped, snapping out of my daze.

"Oh! Y-yes, of course I want to!" I said, throwing my arms around his neck, giving him a hug.

He smiled, hugging me back, and I nearly swallowed a mouthful of his hair.

"I'm really glad to hear that," he murmured. "Do you want to go to dinner tonight? A-a fancy dinner, as our first sort of really official date!"

I nodded breathlessly, still hardly able to get any words out, completely overwhelmed by what had happened.

"Here, I'll go with Y/N to her place, and Gene can take you to mine so you can get ready and then be surprised at how nice each other looks!" Shannon said, giving me a smile.

"Okay! That-that works!" Eric said, letting go of me and taking a step back. "I'll pick you up at 7 then!"

"I'll see you then," I said shyly, and he smiled brightly, about to walk off, when Gene put a hand on his shoulder.

"Forgot your luggage, Romeo," he said with a grin, gently steering Eric toward the luggage carousel.

I giggled, waving goodbye to him and walking out of the airport with a very gleeful Shannon.

"See?? See?? I told you!" she crowed. "I told you he loved you!"

"Alright, I get it, you were right. I'm just really glad you were," I said, practically giddy at the thought of our date.